Sign in to follow this  

Steps to clean oil tank after powdercoat?

Hey guys. Spent a lot of time searching but only came up with a couple of things. I got my frame done a while back and the motor went out on me. I want to clean out the frame again to make sure there is absolutely nothing in there. Here's what I have dug up and complied into a list:

Flushing out the oil tank with brake cleaner. I have the tank plugged up right now and is full to the brim with brake cleaner. I am letting it sit overnight.

Another flush with new brake cleaner (If I can get another gallon)

Running compressed air through (possibly nitrogen so no oxidation will occur)

Filling up with ATF (the ATF will remove the acids from the cleaner). Leaving overnight.

Another run with the ATF. Leaving overnight.

Then about 8 or 9 quarts of cheap dino oil (non energy conserving)

How does this sound guys? I may be going above the top, but I may have paid the 1200 price tag for it. I want to do it perfect, and ensure that there is absolutely nothing left in that oil tank. The process before:

2 runs with brake cleaner, each 30 mins in the tank, then 6 quarts of cheap dino oil (non energy conserving)

Let me know if I should change anyhting, or anything I should add.

-Phill

P.S. Pics of the bike (when it was running) in My Garage.

Starting with brake cleaner isn't that good an idea, simply because it doesn't do that much in this kind of situation. It doesn't have the dispersant properties that you need, but it won't hurt.

My first step would have been to plug the tank off before anything got into it, but I guess it's too late for that. :banghead:

The first step should be a "soap" and water mix. Water and Simple Green at about 80/20 or so. Agitate it by sloshing the frame around and by running compressed air through it by way of the oil lines, etc., at about 20-30 psi. Rinse it thoroughly with water.

Follow that as soon as possible with a rinse of cheap drug store ethanol (ethyl alcohol) to absorb the water, then fill it with ATF. Agitate it like you did the soapy water, and leave it sit, then do it some more and drain it.

Now, you could use a light solvent like the brake cleaner, but since you're really not trying to remove the last trace of oil residue, brake cleaner is expensive overkill. Just use inexpensive mineral spirits from the hardware store instead.

Fill it once with a high detergent motor oil, drain it and go. :banghead:

Or have it steam cleaned and follow that right away with an alcohol and oil rinse.

So by doing the brake cleaner it's allright? I guess I'll flush it again with mineral spirts and leave it overnight again. I'll go out every hour or so and agitate it.

Tomorrow I supposely get the motor back. I'll drain the fluid and blow compressed air through (to evaporate anything remaining.) 2 times the frame will get ATF that will sit in it for a long period of time, then 6 quarts of cheapie dino oil will get through it. To break it in, I'm going to run the bike for about 5-10 mins (after warming it up) then drain the oil and refil. Same procedure two times, then start using Shell Rotella T Synthetic.

-Phill

You know your pressure washer will clean it out just as good as anything else. The water will ricochete around in there so much nothing will stick.

Steam clean or High pressure washer. Then your cheapie oil procedure.

Makes me wonder if you could run WD-40 through the washer :banghead:

🤣 or :banghead:

I just want to avoid water at all costs because if I miss a spot with the alcohol, I'm doomed with rust...

Also, I don't really see how water could blast out the oil. Oil and water don't mix.

After taking out the brake cleaner, the oil came out very very watery. Did another quick flush with the brake cleaner and seems allright. It comes out perfectly clean.

Filled with Tranny fluid and I'm letting that sit as I eat (and organize my workbench for the motor tomorrow)

-Phill

Also, I don't really see how water could blast out the oil. Oil and water don't mix.

You are absolutely right, but when the water is being forced into that space above 1000 psi it is going to knock stuff off whether it mixes with it or not. Also, with the addition of soap water will mix with oil. Just my 2 cents.