Yes, I know another "which bike question"

Okay, I know this has been done plenty but, here goes one more time.....

I've got a Polaris Predator 500cc sport quad (hits pretty hard mid-range but, not over the top hard)but, I want to get a bike now.

I'm going to ride mostly trails, desert, maybe some track once in a while. I'm not into big air but, I do like speed and power.

I'm looking for a green sticker bike as I'm used to year round riding.

I hear the yz426f has too hard of a hit to really enjoy slow trails (but, I do like the idea of lots of power)

xr400 or xr650r also sound like fun what about power to weight ratio?

Drz400e again power and maybe suspension too soft?

Husquavana TE450,570 etc.

KTM 400cc or better are all bikes I would consider what are the opinions out there???

Sorry, this is so long but, I need help and advise...... :banghead:?:banghead:

Every bike mentioned so far will work, just remember they are all heavy pigs. I've ridden the crf450x and the crf250x... the 450x is to heavy and the 250x is under powered. I've also ridden a yz426f and that bike felt pretty good but I rode it on the track, not nearly as heavy feeling as the 450x. The best big bike I've ridden was a 2002 520sx, only felt slightly heavier than my 250sx and the power was a kick in the pants. I wonder how many of these bikes that are recommended have actually been ridden by the person that recommends them. I'm guessing not many. Of course, you could get the best of both worlds and go with a 250 2 stroke or the ktm 300 exc. Light weight, one kick starts, and all the power you would need. Oh, I've ridden the 300 exc as well and it's a good one.

I think your decision hinges on several factors, one being the almighty dollar. I would have loved to get a nice new CRF450x, or a WR450, KTM or the like, however I did not have the cash on hand...so I bought a well used 2000 YZ426. Green sticker with plenty of power and speed. It does pack a punch, but I've been able to handle it so far. I do mostly trail and desert riding, not really any track ( I know that's what the bike is made for..). My 426 is a good bike for the money, and can handle just about anything that comes my way. That said, if I had had the money, I'd be riding on something newer and nicer...CRF450x or one of the KTM machines...

Well, no one mentioned the XR400 or xr650 should I scratch them off the list of possible bikes?

How are the YZ426f's on a single track trail? or just chugging along at slow speeds?

Oh and BTW, I am 5'11" and am 200lbs. so, I've ruled out a 250cc.

I'm looking for a used bike in the 3K to 4K range.

The Honda XR400 is a good option. The 650 is too heavy and is more for street.

I also agree with the others who mentioned the CRF450X and 250X.

I've had the XR400, sold it and bought a 250X. The 250X is a great bike, and was the Dirt Rider Magazine's bike of the year. the WINNER

Lots of power usually means more weight, like a 450. Riding trails, slow trails, or single track usually warrants something light and flickable, like a 250. I weigh 200 lbs and the 250cc is fine by me.

Don't waste a dime on the XR's. Way to heavy. Unless you are a god of a rider and never put one down, then go with the XR. But pick one up a few times, you will be pissed off at your buddies on the ktm's yammies, and CRXs. You will be wanting their bike. A friend of mine showed up to the Colorado 500 with an XR 400. He is now riding a CRX450. He bought it the last day of the 500. XR=PIG