Sign in to follow this  

How much snow around Sargents??

I was wondering what the snow situation is in the Sargents /Pitkin /Crested Butte single track area.

How much snow fell during the last storm?

Is it melting?

I was wondering what the snow situation is in the Sargents /Pitkin /Crested Butte single track area.
These areas are far enough apart that what applies to one will not apply to another.
How much snow fell during the last storm?
About 8" fell on Monarch Pass, and much less down at Sargents. The real question is how much snow is on the CDT, both the Crest and Summit sections, and how much is on the side trails? I'd guess the higher trails got about 8" and the side trails much less.

I can't say what happened at Pitkin or CB, but I'd guess at least an inch or two more at each location.

Is it melting?
Yes, quite nicely.

Here are some pictures I took today (Thur, 10/13) at noon.

Rainbow Trail at US285

Shirley Site

The snow will soon be gone in the Sargents and Rainbow Trail areas on all but the darkest north slopes, and the remaining snow will not be deep enough to cause problems. The ground isn't frozen yet - maybe in a week or two.

Remember, the opening day for the first rifle hunt is Sat. I'll be riding the Fourmile Area NE of Salida and/or Texas Creek and/or Tanner/Stultz south of Canon City this weekend. The next non-hunting days are Thu-Fri, Oct 20-21.

It ain't over till I say it's over.

Or the fat lady shows up for a ride :banghead:

Thanks.

I had forgotten about hunting season and you answered "when it will it be over" before I knew to ask.

I try to be brief in my questions, which, at times, lacks clarity.

I'll be riding the Fourmile Area NE of Salida and/or Texas Creek and/or Tanner/Stultz south of Canon City this weekend.

We'll probably be heading down to TC for a pm ride Sat, perhaps we'll see ya there Ramz. Thanks for the trail status update!