Knee guards/braces

I did some searching on this topic and didn't find the answer to my particular question. I recently had a get-off that resulted in a knee injury. Needless to say I'm looking into some braces/guards. First off I have big legs, about 18-19" calves(friends in school used to call me tree-trunk Tim). Secondly I also wear riding boots. I've seen alot of guys with raw legs and boots that don't fit/work with the braces/guards and the straps. My question is for the guys out there with legs like me, what works for you? I definitely want something, not to bulky, that will fit me and stay in place while offering decent protection and stability. Not looking to spends hundreds, just want some peace of mind. :banghead:

Thanks!

I haven't sustained a ligament/tendon tear strain so the support is not the big issue. More or less looking to avoid blunt trauma, again. Bracing is good, but I'm looking for protection moreso. Just don't want something bulky or a set that's going to cut circulation off.

The '05 style Thor Force knee guards offer excellent protection and have saved my knees on more than one occasion now. The hinged design covers everything from the boots to the middle of the thigh. The only drawback is they will not fit someone with very large legs. The velcro straps are about limited out on me and I'm no hulk. The '06 Thor Force guards might be an option worth looking into.

'05 style:

g1236.jpg

'06 style:

tho_06_for_kne_gua_sma.jpg

The Black Thor Dont Look Like They Don't Have A Knee Cap Cover
We’ve taken our finest kneeguard and made it better. Completely redesigned to incorporate a floating kneecup that’s encapsulated in durable Aramid material, the new Force Kneeguard offers improved comfort and performance. Designed for riders that require more coverage than conventional kneeguards, but less support than expensive kneebraces, The Force is in a class by itself. Our innovative dual-pivot system mimics the action of the knee without the bulky mechanics that can get hung up on your bike. So you’ll feel more like you’re wearing standard knee guards, and less like a human robot. The Force Kneeguards are also anatomically correct, so there’s a specific left and right side which match the contour of you legs for improved comfort and reduced chafing. Size S/M fits most riders up to 5’7” tall Size L/XL fits most riders taller than 5’7” - Perforated neoprene chassis for support and secure fit - Extended thigh protection - Impact resistant polyethylene knee cup is encapsulated in durable aramid fiber for maximum coverage - Dual pivot system mimics anatomical action of the knee - Custom inverted post latching system - Asymmetrical design for comfort and fit

Do you wear a $10 dollar helmet? I can appreciate the need to save money. but in the end you will be less comfortable and less well protected. I swear by the Asterik braces especially for your big legs. they have a great sizing system where you measure your leg in different spots to get the right size. Having a big calf is a good thing with braces because you have some meat to hang the brace on and prevent it from slipping down the guy with no calf has the brace constantly slipping down actually being pushed down by his flexing thigh. there are many new braces to choose from today a few years ago your choices were very limited. the Asterisk has that webbing to secure the brace at first i thought that will never work but because I was so used to straps. The straps actually cut and rub into your skin the webbing is much more comfortable. the asterisk brace takes a while to break in. Most guys who complain about them being uncomfortable are wearing them too tight since your legs pump up with blood when you ride (particularly big legs lots of blood). Treat whichever braces you get like jetting your bike make small changes to the braces until you get them dialed in and then leave them alone. Trust me Knee surgery is a BUMMER preventing it is much better than fixing it. good luck with you search try on as many braces as possible before you buy however the one that feels good in the store will hurt on the trail and the one that is less comfortable in the store will work better on the trail.

The 2006 Thor knee guards are pretty well reengineered from the 2005 model. I just bought two pair for My GF and Myself. The floating knee cup is really nice and they(the complete knee guard) seen to be a bit less "bulky" in appearance than the 2005 models. I do not have a 2005 pair to compare to in person.....just looking at the pictures comparison.

It was pretty funny when the GF tried her pair on. I was kicking her pretty hard in the knee with My Tech 8's to illustrate how much impact absorption they have!! She was impressed as she has had a major knee injury in the past!! :banghead: :banghead:

'XPLRN'

Yeah I saw the Thor's last night and they have a knee cup. Don't think they'd mingle with my legs and the Tech 8's.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have to concurr with you. The 2006 Thor has a mounting system of overlapping flaps of wetsuit-like material with velcro to locate the guard on the thigh and calf.....along with adjustable clip-on straps. I have 16 inch calves and had bought the large/X-large size. They fit me good but not much adjustment for larger calf size left on the wetsuit material velcro flaps.

'XPLRN'

The 2006 Thor knee guards are pretty well reengineered from the 2005 model. I just bought two pair for My GF and Myself. The floating knee cup is really nice and they(the complete knee guard) seen to be a bit less "bulky" in appearance than the 2005 models. I do not have a 2005 pair to compare to in person.....just looking at the pictures comparison.

It was pretty funny when the GF tried her pair on. I was kicking her pretty hard in the knee with My Tech 8's to illustrate how much impact absorption they have!! She was impressed as she has had a major knee injury in the past!! :banghead: :banghead:

'XPLRN'

I thnks she prob need a real knee brace then with existing knee problem i would get em

evs r6 evs r-7 are not that much compared to knee surgery

I thnks she prob need a real knee brace then with existing knee problem i would get em

evs r6 evs r-7 are not that much compared to knee surgery

Thanks for the positive thought!! :banghead: She does not have a "existing" knee problem.......she just injured one knee real good a few years back.

It's all good now.....however she was open to the idea of wearing knee guards to prevent it from happening again!! Once you've experienced the pain your memory is certainly sharp on the injury potential!!

'XPLRN'

Thanks for the positive thought!! :banghead: She does not have a "existing" knee problem.......she just injured one knee real good a few years back.

It's all good now.....however she was open to the idea of wearing knee guards to prevent it from happening again!! Once you've experienced the pain your memory is certainly sharp on the injury potential!!

'XPLRN'

YUP HAD TO HAVE MINE DRAINED TWICE AND SMALL SURGERY ONCE AND MAN IT FRIGGIN HURTS :banghead:???

• 4 weeks later...

Are you bigger than and NFL Offensive Lineman? A half dozen of the SF 49ers Offensive Line are wearing the AirArmor knee and leg protection system. There are no thigh straps, no interior hinge and the carbon composite has a 4 year warranty. They do not come with guards, but when used in the NHL the shin guards interface properly with the AirArmor. They also come with extra long calf straps. ArmorSports sell them for about $550 a pair. :banghead: