Update on WA ORV Noise Task Force Hearing

From yamamama on PANTRA

Here is an article published in the Olympian newspaper.

http://www.theolympian.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051006/NEWS01/51 0060327/1020

It has some info on what was discussed at this hearing.

I don't have time right now to do a full report, but will post it in the next couple of days.

You can use this link if you would like to listen to the full Task Force Hearing

http://www.tvw.org/MediaPlayer/Archived/WME.cfm?EVNum=2005100053&TYP E=A

mrsmickey, thanks for attending the last hearing! There were more ORV enthusiasts in attendance this time, but still not enough. What will follow is in no way aimed at you or anyone that attended at least one hearing.

Stop us from riding on our own land, close down ORV riding areas because they are too noisy, close down riding in the National Forests because horsesman, hikers and mountain bikers want to be on those trails. Where do we go?

All of the non-motorized groups feel that we are infringing on their rights, but who is looking out for our rights to use our public lands, our own property and public and private ORV parks?

If you're not willing to stand-up and fight for our/your rights, then you might as well park your ride and join a non-motorized group. If we don't fight them now, we will be force to join them later to enjoy the wilderness areas we love.

OK, I feel much better now. I think my blood pressure is almost back to normal now. :banghead::banghead:??

All of the non-motorized groups feel that we are infringing on their rights

this is what boggles me... the non-motorized groups have access to such a larger percentage of trails, yet they continue to make claims about our sport ruining their recreation. why can't they just stay on the some +85% of trails that we don't have access to?

yeah, I know I am preaching to the choir here...

trav, those stats are very true, but they have lawyers and money behind them. The non-motorized groups also seem to be quite organized. If they cry, scream, moan and grown enough the legislators will listen to them. That is the whole reason we as motorized enthusiasts have to make our voices as loud as the non-motorized enthusiasts think our vehicles are and louder! We need to verbally roost everyone of them until they are completely burried.

The lawyer at the last meeting was a piece of work. ORV users have been asked by many groups to be self-policing. So when we put reminders of noise problems on the NMA web pages he uses it against us! Bad man, no biscuit! :banghead:

The next meeting is supposed to focus on noise enforcement issues and mikeymoto and I will be there again.

I will be attending the final hearing, just like I attended the two prior hearings. This final hearing is the resolution phase of this whole process. If you don't plan on attending you can send in a letter that states what you feel would be a good resolution to the issues this Task Force had covered. You can send your letters to Dixie Huff at Huff.Dixie@leg.wa.gov or Curt Gavigan at Gavigan.Curt@leg.wa.gov , just state what the letter is for.

This Task Force has a December 1st deadline to pressent their findings to the legislature.