Sign in to follow this  

1996 ATK 605 dual-sport worth?

Was looking at this bike, original owner and the bike is in average shape. Looks like its been outside for a while. Needs new graphics and brake lever and a battery and tires. The guy is asking $2000. What do you think of this price? He says all scheduled maintenance has been done on it. There are some rust dings on the frame and swingarm though. Needs a little TLC.

I wouldn't buy the 406 personally but the 605 is another story. Dead reliable, at least mine was. A bit heavy though. $2k doesn't seem bad but it's hard to tell without seeing the bike.

I bought a 1999 for 2200, it broke the timing belt and the piston kissed the valves. Took the motor out and took it in to ATK for an estimate on a rebuild... I was quoted around 3000 bucks. Ouch... Parts are getting outdated and unavailable especially for the chassis. Rotax quit making the engine. Good luck.

aahh parts are easy, both engine and suspension and brakes,

look for odd stuff that is unique,

how bad is the rust?

pop a wheel off, look for rust , assume the belt hasnt been changed, easy and cheap.

call BBR motorsports, brian billings, rotax race dude,ask him re parts, call ATK, yes they do not make them any more but that can be said of many

ron wood in coasta mesa has a large stock of rotax engine parts, probably the formost expert on the motors, Mr. flat and short track to those who follow it. :banghead:

Its not the engine parts that are hard to find... Its the chassis parts. Want a bigger gas tank? Sorry thats not made, want a different exhaust... well your on your own there. need electrical parts... ATK may have them now but for how long? The engine parts are extremely expensive. Look into buying a complete new engine. I have there not around anymore.

2000 bucks is too much money for a 1996 unless it is in factory new condition. Shop around a little and you can pick up a later model for not much more money and usually they have less than 2000 miles on them. The resale for ATK drops like rocks.

P-I when you find a cheap big bore engine made by anyone let us know. $2K for a rough model IS too much. but a bit lower and you can part it out for that $$,

here a tip. the value only drops like a rock if you bought it new, most clean 96'+ pull around 3-4K, and how much do other big bore DS from 96' sell for? those with high end components? every exotic dumps big value, after the initial drop they hold fairly well, better then a lot of stocks in the last 5 yrs.

Big tanks is a problem, there is a possible group buy on a larger tank on the ATK forum, but we'll see if it happens. But many bikes have this same problem, good to know prior to purchase. Looking for chassis parts? I have an extra frame, sub I'll sell you, the WP stuff is off the shelf, the brake lever may be a spec to atk part.

An ATK is not for everyone, its that freedom of choice thing.

sounds like you'd be bettter off with a DR/XR, if you havent fixed yours consider doing it your self, the engines are simple. Or try calling BBR motorsports in bellingham, not as well known as ron wood, but not the $ either, and hes very good.

The problem I ran into is that nobody sees anything other than a dirt bike with wheels. THe average guy who comes to look at it in the driveway doesn't see or understand what WP forks, Ohlins shock, Excel wheels, or even Rotax powered means.

Some guy came to look at mine tonight again. I said I'd take $5k for it, even tho I've prety much settled on keeping it and throwing some gofast money at it. He thought that was pretty high. So I said fine, don't buy it. Go buy a DRSM that weighs the same and has 250cc less engine, and probably not nearly the quality parts. and costs 6100. And then I tell them to try to license a dirtbike in wisconsin :banghead:

if its in pieces, part it on ebay or atk board. flat trackers still like that engine, even in parts, Ohlins will always get some $$, sell the front end complete, for someone doing a swap. and all the little atk special bits, best of luck.

exc, nice bike!

Well, I decided to put my money towards the purchase of a new KTM 525exc.

The 96 has WP front and rear. The Later 605's used Paoli forks and Ohlins rear. Rotax parts are easy to come by and can make power with little to no stress. I have a 670 kit on the way as well as a 860 cam and high rev springs. Can you say 65hp and same weight as a DRZ400?

I brought the new baby home tonight... All I can say is wow. I rode a friends CRF450x up a rocky technical section and it was a little lacking in the torque dept. This KTM feels much more like the Rotax, but with a much lighter feel. :banghead::banghead:

pictures man, we want pic's!