Sign in to follow this  

how much have you ever stripped your bike down to

hey everybody.. i was just wondering how much any of you have ever taken your bike apart just for a cleaning.. right now i have ever plastic part imaginable off, subframe, swingarm, and wheels are off.. so its basically a frame and a engine, with a gas takn right now.. the tank would have come off but it was full, and i didn't feel like emptying it :banghead:

hey everybody.. i was just wondering how much any of you have ever taken your bike apart just for a cleaning.. right now i have ever plastic part imaginable off, subframe, swingarm, and wheels are off.. so its basically a frame and a engine, with a gas takn right now.. the tank would have come off but it was full, and i didn't feel like emptying it :banghead:

I stripped mine to the frame and motor 2 days after I bought it. Greased every bearing and put it back together. The swingarm pivot and linkage bearings really needed more grease. Now I know everything is done right. I plan on doing the same thing this winter.

I just did it this weekdend. My wife asked "whats wrong with your bike?" I said "nothing" i'm bored and felt like taking it apart!

W

Yes but not just to clean it....well on second thought....I guess I'm also "cleaning" my bearings when I repack them, so yes......yes I do.

I have a '92 KX250 that I take down to the frame every couple of years.

I repaint the frame, "clean the bearings", and just inspect everything during re-assembly. Looks, runs and feels like new when I get it back together.

I've stripped several of my bikes down to the frame just to "spruce 'er up". Usually it just starts with the idea of just cleaning the bike and next thing you know you have a frame hanging from the rafters by safety wire and you are painting it. Good times.

done everthing on a pinger, my 125 is like 1000 bits at moment , full rebuild, everything is apart, engine split, all new bearings, gears checked etc,every of the frame gonna give it a paint or maybe powder coat and polish the swingarm. yet to rebuild a engine on a thump, but its only a matter of time.

your a true enthusiast I'm no where near you, i am a bad bike owner in comparison

I do one or two frame-ups a winter. Everyone should try it - especially something that hasn't been made for 30 years. The parts hunt can be grueling. :banghead:

Once annualy I tear it right down to the frame and half the motor, I have never split a case. I grease evrything and toss in a top-end, with valve springs and a cam chain. Usualy during the sommer months I partialy tear it down for greasing and inspection and its nice to know every nut and bolt is torqued to spec.

Why would you have to drain the tank to take it off?? Turn the fuel off and pull the hose from the carb take the bolt out and pull off

true, but i didn't think it was worth a mention.

bythe way i got a laugh out of your sig :banghead:

ahh.. that is a good idea, for somereason i thought the petcock was below the gas hose, so turning the petcock off wouldn't do anything. its too late now though, ive already begun cleaning, and tonight is reassembly. maybe ill get a little riding in to get it good and muddy again :banghead::banghead:

Why would you have to drain the tank to take it off?? Turn the fuel off and pull the hose from the carb take the bolt out and pull off

Yeah I always take my fuel tank off with gas still in it. :banghead: