Sign in to follow this  

Got my '06 450 EXC last night. Need help with jetting

Every one says to rejet before i even brake it in.

I called the shop and talked to there ktm guys and they said first change to a 180 main and a 45 pilot. they didnt know where to put the needle.

I have seen the jet kit from jd but just cant justify another 70 bucks after already spending 8700 for the bike.

Any suggestions or help?

I am running the stock needle, but one clip richer, 48 pilot, stock main jet, and 1 1/4 turns out on the fuel screw. I am at 2000', temps 75-85.

Go to KTMTalk -- there's a whole archive on jetting settings or just search under the jetting forum for "450". I have a new 400 exc and I e-mailed James Dean directly and got confirmation that at sea level to 1500 feet under normal temps the following jetting will be best:

42 Pilot

Blue Needle

Clip 3rd from top

172 main

Here's the reply:

Yes, the setting you described is correct for your conditions. Set the fuel screw to about 1 1/4 turns out from seated when using the blue marked needle and stock #42 pilot jet.

The stock jetting is lean at low throttle, which the needle will correct. The full throttle jetting is metered by the main jet and the stock main jet (178) is not lean. The kit's smaller #172 main jet is used to work with the kit's triple taper needle profile, if the shop questions why a smaller main jet is used.

what elevation do you ride at? I have several new/spare jd needles that i could get to you cheap.

u guys in the US have it hard! ours our ready to ride:) with alot more extra's...:banghead:

what elevation do you ride at? I have several new/spare jd needles that i could get to you cheap.

We ride from sea level up to about 5k ft. Mostly arond sea level though. Maybe once a year head up the big mtns for fun.

I took it in today, the dealership offered to rejet it for free seeing how I had such a crapy experience buying it.

Thanks for the offers. PM me if you have anything that could work for me.