Sign in to follow this  

balancing tires

I'm about to put a set of Perelli mt21s on my dr 650 and just wanted to know do you need to balance these tires or does it matter on dual sports?

with a knobby, it's not a really big deal as you will get all sorts of harmonics/humming/vibration on the street which won't make a huge difference if they are balanced. That being said, i'd do it anyway, whatever advantage you can get on the street should be taken.

I finally had my front wheel trued and balanced for $32. I'll let you know if it was worth it. It felt wierd at low speeds and got scary on the highway at speeds exceeding 80mph.

It was fine when it had the stockers on it which were factory balanced. I could hit 117mph (according to my friends speedo) and it was smoov as silk!

It is necessary to balance both front and rear tires, especially if only single rimlocks are used. It is very easy to balance wheels in your garage with a pair of jack stands and gravity. :banghead:

It is necessary to balance both front and rear tires, especially if only single rimlocks are used. It is very easy to balance wheels in your garage with a pair of jack stands and gravity. :banghead:

can you explain the procedure for this,,thanks

can you explain the procedure for this,,thanks

With the wheel off the bike, slip the clean, greased axle through the hub. It helps to slightly pull out the spacer bushings to relieve excess friction. Place the wheel and axle between two jackstands allowing the wheel to rotate freely. The heavy side of the tire, due to gravity, will end up at the bottom. Add enough one ounce lead spoke weights to the upper, lighter side until the wheel is balanced. Thats all there is to it and it only takes a couple of minutes.

I am on my third rear Pirelli MT 90 scorpion A/T. I had the first set balanced, the rear ended up wearing terribly, out of round like, amazing no bad vibration. The second set was also shop balanced and wore nicely. On the third rear, I rushed to get it replaced for a big weekend and didn't get it balanced. 2000 miles later there is still no vibration and it seems to being wearing evenly. I don't have a rimlock. Next tire I am going to do what the above post reccommend. I will not waste the time and $ having a shop do it anymore

I am on my third rear Pirelli MT 90 scorpion A/T. I had the first set balanced, the rear ended up wearing terribly, out of round like, amazing no bad vibration. The second set was also shop balanced and wore nicely. On the third rear, I rushed to get it replaced for a big weekend and didn't get it balanced. 2000 miles later there is still no vibration and it seems to being wearing evenly. I don't have a rimlock. Next tire I am going to do what the above post reccommend. I will not waste the time and $ having a shop do it anymore

How many miles are you getting out of those tires?

The rear tire (MT90 scorpionA/T) went a little over 4,000 and it was getting scary low as winter approached. I put the same tire on in the spring except I went to the S/T which is a little more road. I changed it a little early at 3500 so I really did not get all the life out of it. This bike is a handful for me on sand so I wanted new rubber for a weekend of washing out in the adirondack sand. The tires handle great on the road, very smooth, although I have only compared them to the trailwings. They are a little pricey especially this year. I still had my receipt taped to my wall and the same tire last year was $75, this summer it was up to $95, hate to see the post Katrina price!

If you run without rimlocks, some tires like Dunlop have a little yellow circle on one side of the sidewall which is the light spot in the tire. If you put the yellow circle next to the valve stem (heavy spot), the wheel should be pretty well balanced as is. I removed the rimlock from the front tire years ago with no problems, and recently removed the rimlock from the rear tire (KTM 525 EXC) with no noticeable tire slippage on the rim as of yet.