Sign in to follow this  

Paddle Tire Setup?

I'm going to be hitting the Glamis & Pismo dunes in the next few weeks and wanted to see if you can just pop a paddle on an 05 CRF 450R or if I am going to need an extension, longer chain or anything else. It was super easy to get it onto my KX 250. I hope the same hold true on my new toy. Also, what is the best size to run on this bike?

If your wheel is close to the swing arm now, you may have to get a longer chain or change gearing. I had to do this originally on mine. If you have plenyt of room now, it should clear no problem. I use an 8 paddle on mine and love it, my cousin has a 10 paddle on his and it seems to hook too much.

I've noticed different brands are different height. I had a Skat Trak Hooker on my CR250 and replaced it with a Turbo Paddle and it hit. Check the height of the paddles at your local shop and get the smallest one if your concerned. Also, remove the plastic flap coming off the bottom of your airbox if the paddle is close to it. If you don't, the paddle will remove it for you.

I run the new skat trak tire and I think it hooks up to much for slower speed tight woods where you need to be able slide it around from time to time but for the wide open fast stuff the skat trak tire it awesome

You should get a longer chain. Chicken Skin 110 90 19 Sand Pro fits the best, no rubbing... Also 8 paddle is fine. Any more would be a little too much hookup. Take off the mudflap as well. :banghead:

Get a 10 paddle. Don't buy a Kings or anything else tall or cupped real bad. Definitely remove the mudflap. :banghead:

your tire will need to be at least to the half way point on your adjustments or it will hit, best bet is it buy a 30-40 dolar chain for sand only.

My experience with the 30-40 dollar chains has been terrible. It has cost me sprockets, chain slides and new paddles in the past. The non-O-Ring approach wears out quick. Just my bad luck probably. I spend the extra on the chain, run steel sprockets and replace each year. Hasn't been a problem since.

P.S. Don't even think about a half link. It will cost you a side case. :banghead: