Sign in to follow this  

Massachusetts

No where! Where do you live? There are a few state parks in the western part of the state where you can ride legally.

Just got back from a day at Pittsfield State forest and would definitly recommend it. Me and my buddy went for the first time Sunday. Get there easily in under 2 hours from Worcester area. We were extremely skeptical cause of the million inches of rain but we ended up having a blast. Printed a map off of the gov. website but they had them available at the main building. Rode about 25 miles and could have kept going. Neither of us is what I would call advanced riders although we are both experienced riding around the Worcester area. I had been told that the Berkshire parks are extremely rocky, so with the rain and leaves we were leary. Started in the northern trails of the park and it wasn't too rough at all. Finished in the southern part and that's where it got interesting. Very rocky and rooty. These trails have lots of ledge and are wet. Still had a blast. Just more technical. No matter where you go plan on getting wet. Not quite big puddles, more like very small ponds.

I'm pretty sure all the rain the previous eight days kept alot of people away. We only saw 2 other bikes and about 5 quads all day.

Keep in mind the state parks close for riding the last Sunday of November.

And be registered. They don't play around.

there are some good trails in eastern mass but you are not supposed to ride them. just get a quiet dual sport and ride them anyway.

Hey Buzzcutter - I was the one parked next to you with the CRF450. Pittsfield was awesome! We rode all day and made it to the top of Jiminy Peak, Brodie Mountain, and Mt Greylock (have to be street legal to get up there). Overall did about 70 miles with most of it trail and there was stuff we didn't have time to ride. Definitely worth going back for more. All the trails are pretty wide (no single track) and there was a bunch of rocks and puddles with some nice roots thrown in for good measure. Lots of ups and downs with some challenging hills if you decide to try to tackle them (all the hard spots seemed to have go arounds).

PS - The ranger I spoke to on the phone said Pittsfield State Forest closes at the end of October not the end of November. So you might want to double check before making a trip in November.

Ken

Hey CT Rider. Had a blast Sunday.. I don't know if you've noticed but when me and my buddy stopped at the truck for a snack a good size branch blew off the tree we parked under and landed on your hood. We were gonna leave you a letter but had no pen. THAT SUCKS!!! I looked and it left some marks. Wicked windy day.

Sorry for the bad news but I just wanted to let you know. Maybe we'll bump into each other There again.

That sucks if the park closes the end of Oct. We're planning on going back but have no time this month. I'll have to double check.

I talked to a ranger at October Mountain and he said the last Sun of Nov. I think it says the same thing online.

We'll see

Hey ct rider......How far would you say it was from Jimmy Peak to Mt Greylock? I was up there in late September and the owner of the house we rented told me about trails to Mt Greylock. I tried to find them but I was riding against the flow from the Mohawk Turkey Run. I headed north from Jimmy Peak, crossed a road and went another couple of miles but I felt like I was interfering with the Turkey Run so I turned around.

Had a great time and I hope to get back there next year and find Mt Greylock.

Just got back from a day at Pittsfield State forest and would definitly recommend it. Me and my buddy went for the first time Sunday. Get there easily in under 2 hours from Worcester area. We were extremely skeptical cause of the million inches of rain but we ended up having a blast. Printed a map off of the gov. website but they had them available at the main building. Rode about 25 miles and could have kept going. Neither of us is what I would call advanced riders although we are both experienced riding around the Worcester area. I had been told that the Berkshire parks are extremely rocky, so with the rain and leaves we were leary. Started in the northern trails of the park and it wasn't too rough at all. Finished in the southern part and that's where it got interesting. Very rocky and rooty. These trails have lots of ledge and are wet. Still had a blast. Just more technical. No matter where you go plan on getting wet. Not quite big puddles, more like very small ponds.

I'm pretty sure all the rain the previous eight days kept alot of people away. We only saw 2 other bikes and about 5 quads all day.

Keep in mind the state parks close for riding the last Sunday of November.

And be registered. They don't play around.

Wher you from?

You can also ride in Southeastern, MA: Foxboro State Forrest, Wrenthem State Forrest, and Freetown State Forrest are all legal places to ride..

You can also ride in Southeastern, MA: Foxboro State Forrest, Wrenthem State Forrest, and Freetown State Forrest are all legal places to ride..

Some of us are meeting at Franklin State Forrest for a ride. Woudl youlike to join us? Meeting time is 09:30

Bob

Some of us are meeting at Franklin State Forrest for a ride. Woudl youlike to join us? Meeting time is 09:30

Bob

oops! Forgot to mention... We are meeting tomorrow morning (Saturday)

Bob

Another great state park to ride in is October Mountain. For the last few years I along with some friends stay at this camp ground that is right next to the state park. Its called Bucks Creek I believe, and has showers/bathrooms even a swimming pool. Its only 15 bucks a night and they allow camp fires. Its definately some thing you should do, its gorgous out there.

Buzzcutter - Yeah I saw the aftermath of the branch when I got back to get some gas. Oh well I guess that is what I get for parking under a tree. I figured it would keep me dry when changing and loading the bike. Next time I will park in the open.

drrthumper - not sure of the mileage from Jimminy to Greylock. We road from Jimminy to Brodie and ended up on some trails that looked like they were used in the turkey run but they ended up on some property that was posted so we turned around and headed back to the bottom of Brodie. From there we followed the arrows across the street (RT7). This is where things got a little shady. I think we ended up on private property and we had a tough time following the state forest arrows as there were NETRA arrows still posted everywhere with moose tape blocking the trails. We started following the NETRA arrows and they went all over the place. We figured we probably weren't supposed to be there so we found a larger trail and followed that. We eneded up on a closed dirt road that took us to the road up Mt Greylock. I would say it should only be about 15 miles maybe less to Mt Greylock from Brodie.

I found it odd that there were signs from Jimminy Peak labelling the trail to Mt Greylock but it seemed like there were stretches of private land on the route??? Maybe we got off track at all the NETRA arrows? You will need a street legal bike to get up to Greylock. The people running the restaurant at the top thought we rode unlicenses dirtbikes to the top and warned us the rangers are very strick up there and will not tolerate dirtbikes and atv's at the top.

There are a few more state forests in western MA Beartown SF has great rocks/roots/mud and some trails are much more technical than anything in Pitt. or october mountain IMO. Good riding at Oct Mt. also, Pit is the least tech. of them all.

There are a few more state forests in western MA Beartown SF has great rocks/roots/mud and some trails are much more technical than anything in Pitt. or october mountain IMO. Good riding at Oct Mt. also, Pit is the least tech. of them all.

Hey Guys. I rode up at Beartown last Thursday. There was three of us and we were the only riders on the trails all day.

300man... your right Beartown is very technical!!! It was wet with some snow at the peaks, And it was leaf covered. It was some tough riding on my CRF250X. The other two guys had 4 wheel drive quads. We rode hard, about 31 miles. At the end of the day we all agree that it was some of the most technical riding we had ever done. If it wasn't leaf covered and wet it would have been more enjoyable. What a ride though. Thank God for Cycra hand guards (more like clutch/ brake lever guards) Ride safe :banghead:

sauce