CFR 150 for first time rider?

I was considering buying my 13 year old son a dirt bike -- he has a year under his belt with an ATV and now he's outgrowing it and my younger son has claimed it. Being a Honda guy now (use to be a Yamaha guy before) I was thinking the CRF 150 would be a great introductory model for him to grow with.

Your thoughts and opinions?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13? How tall is he? If he's under 5'2", I'd look at a CRF100 for a first bike to learn on. If he's taller, the CRF150 will work great. You may also want to look at the TTR125LE which falls right between the CRF100 and 150 size-wise and would work great for just about any new rider. It's much lighter than the CRF150 and if the riding area he's going to be learning on is not open flat country, weight might become an issue. Just my opinion.

I just recently bought a CRF 150.:banghead: Its not my first bike but I had very little riding experience. The weight is a bit of a problem for me on the trails, guess I'm not used to it. But I think its a geat bike for beginners

where in B.C. are you? im in Comox/Terrace

I was considering buying my 13 year old son a dirt bike -- he has a year under his belt with an ATV and now he's outgrowing it and my younger son has claimed it. Being a Honda guy now (use to be a Yamaha guy before) I was thinking the CRF 150 would be a great introductory model for him to grow with.

I bought a CRF150 for my wife and she likes it a lot. She road 3-4 wheelers as a kid and this was the first Dirt Bike she ever road. She learned very quickly on it. She said it feels perfect for her. Shes 120lbs, 5'6". Hope this helps.

E70... well heres my opinion,

i had a ttr 125r for my first bike and LOVED it. dont get him anything above a 150 however. the 230 is probably just to heavy for him right now. but to get a better response u need to answer these questions...First, How tall is he and how much does he weigh? where do u guys ride? and finaly, what does he want and feel ready for?

answering these questions would be a big help for us to give u ample advise.

He's about 5'2" and 100 lbs and growing fast. He's growing faster than I can afford to buy clothes and shoes for him =). I had him sit on the CFR 150 the other day and he was on his tippy toes.

thanks for answering those questions. id say DEFINETLY a ttr125 or a 150. if you have the money to buy him another bike in a year and a half, get the ttr125 becuase ittle be a great first bike, but it has no lastability like the 150. (sinse most people cant afford 2 bikes in around 2 years...) i would definetly go with the 150. it might be a little big for him, but if he can handle it, it will make him an EXTREMELY good rider and it will be the best decision you have ever made.

p.s.- dont get him the 230. like crf 230 rider said it isnt that it has too much power, its that it is way to big for someone his size. i was around 5'3 when i got my 150 and at first it was a bit hard riding it, but it became my alltime favorite bike once i had it down. (lol i still think it is a great bike and ive got a 250!) the reason is, when a bike is so much fun to ride, it just stays with you no matter how big ur next bike is!

good luck in gettin him a bike! :banghead:

definetly. the 230 is just too heavy for someone that size

Even sometimes I have a bit of trouble picking the bastard up if I drop it going up a hill and the bike's seat is facing down the hill. I have to pick it up almost 180 degrees and I'm a pretty strong guy. 5'11" 145lbs.

I love my CRF 150 and my boyfriend won't stay off it! His friends are all buying them and they are big guys. They go rally around on tracks and trails jumping and all! I have modified it (see garage) but the point is, I am a girl 5'5" and about 125# and my boyfriend is 6' about 240! The 150 is for everyone and they are just plain hardworking fun!

I wouldnt buy it my friend has had one for about a year. when he bought it he had only ridden a 4 stroke 80 about twice and wasnt good at all. now he hates it because it is way under power and he cant sell it. the bike is holding him back from reaching his potential. when he rides my RMZ 250 he hauls, but cant buy a new bike because his 150 wont sell. i would buy a 125 2 stroke for a starter bike and them move to the 205f.