Sign in to follow this  

who makes a good steel sprocket?

i'm going to 14/47 on my '05 S and burned recommended that i get steel sprockets. what company makes a good one? i think MSR is steel but they are twice as expensive as anything else.

talon make good steel sprockets i think, havn't had any personal experience but the alluminium sprockets are awsome :banghead:

I just bought from rocky mountain. they were like 6.99 front and 16.99 rear they seem to be working fine. Its just a gear but I'm sure some will disagree. good luck. :banghead:

I personally use ironman stainless steel sprockets and they seem to last forever.

what are the pros and cons of stainless sprockets (vs aluminum)?

Stainless will last a lot longer on the rear than aluminum. It is also heavier if that is a problem for you. If you ride in lots of sand and mud it might be worth it but usually the Stainless sprockets are two or three times more money than alumimum so you got do do the math. Stainless on the front probably won't get you much cause it is no harder than the usual steel used up front. Sunstar is OEM on the DRZ so if you like what came on the bike then keep on. Any of the major companies are good, Renthal, AFAM, JT etc.

Perry

Sunstar gets my vote :banghead: and if you run your chain a little on the slack side it will all last much longer, steel or aluminum.

what are the pros and cons of stainless sprockets (vs aluminum)?
Stainless will last a lot longer on the rear than aluminum. It is also heavier if that is a problem for you. If you ride in lots of sand and mud it might be worth it but usually the Stainless sprockets are two or three times more money than alumimum so you got do do the math.

The stainless ironman sprocket I referred to above actually weighs very little if any more than aluminum and certainly a lot less than any steel sprocket I've had experience with. Because it is so much stronger they were able to remove a lot of the metal. I'll go get a pic if anyone wants to see what they look like.

I live in the great northwet and so 10 months out of the year I ride in mud, the other 2 months the trails are closed due to fire danger :banghead:

The stainless ironman sprocket I referred to above actually weighs very little if any more than aluminum and certainly a lot less than any steel sprocket I've had experience with. Because it is so much stronger they were able to remove a lot of the metal. I'll go get a pic if anyone wants to see what they look like.

I live in the great northwet and so 10 months out of the year I ride in mud, the other 2 months the trails are closed due to fire danger :banghead:

Trails never close here, 10guy. :banghead:

I know :banghead: , it is all political here. It is also done by region and not local so it can rain one place for a month but be dry somewhere else and they keep all them closed. During the late summer/early fall tillamook state forest is the only place to ride since they get a variance. Even then on really dry years they can even close it down.