Sign in to follow this  

Suuzki RMZ-250 + Head Modifications = Reliable?

Ok so I came from my Honda CRF250R.

Wasn't impressed. Either way I'm on the look for a new 250-F. Yamaha has me very captivated due to it's reliablility.

First of all I can maintain a bike...

I've been used to doing the following schdule:

After Every Ride:

Dismantle bike, plastics and tank off etc

Wash bike with pressure washer & contact cleaner

Using airbox cover pressure wash out airbox

Dry bike with pressurised air from compressor

Install new clean airfilter which has been re-oiled

Lubricate all moving parts & cables ect

Lubricate chain

Inspect/adjust spoke tensions

Inspect/adjust chain tension

Inspect/adjust cable tensions

Start bike, allow to run then turn off fuel and run carburettor dry

Change engine and transmission oil using fully synthetic oil and new crush washers

Change oil filter using genuine Honda oil filter & sealing ring

Remove, inspect & clean brake calipars and brake pads and re-copper grease on re-assembly

Remove/inspect/clean wheels and clean & grease bearings

Every 10 Hours Riding:

Inspect valve clearances

I don't mind the maintaince part but the very frequent oil changes has me concerned. It's more a case of financially with myslef. Either way If I was to purchase a low hour use 2005 model, install aftermarket valves, valve springs etc would this for definate cure any reliability problems? I ride pretty hard, I don't hit the rpm limiter and I know how to use the torque of a 4-stroke and ride one properly etc, but still how frequently are you doing your oil/oil filter changes? I guess I could purchase a stainless steel oil filter which would help but still would my oil changes be very frequent? As in how many hours? Not to mention, considered I upgraded with aftermarket head work, could I be reassured that I woud not be adjusting valve clearances often?

Either way, I would run engine ice, I would use aftermarket valves, valve springs ect. Would this cure any relieablility problems?

Anyhow thanks for your advice :banghead:

Honda0001

Absolutely! If you do 1/2 of what you do now, you should have no problems at all. I do not get that detailed after every ride, unless it was a mud race. I have done many of the mods you spoke of and a few more. Finally I have the dreaded 04' and I have ABSOLUTELY no problems at all!

As far as oil changes, I change mine every 2 races and the filter every 3rd race. This is a bit extreme and probably a waste. However I get my oil & filters for free so why not. If you are running good oil and maybe some Two2Cool, Every 6 races would be fine! ( that is the recommended time frames noted in the repair manual for oil & filter)

Ok thanks, I mean so what your saying is you ride, then ride again then change your oil. If I get a stainless steel oil filter then I can do an oil filter change even though I'm not having to spend the money.

Which are the best head conponants for the Suzuki's, Pro-Circuit (PC) or anyone else better? I've heard breifly of Kwibble or someone?

I prefreably want a company that can supply me with everything I require and stay to one brand. :banghead:

Regards Honda0001

Yep your right with the stainless steel. I do not run one, but if I had to pay for filters I probably would.

Here are the mods I did to my 04

Kibblewhite valve, springs, buckets (Kibblewhite by far the best)

Ported & Polished the head

Fluidyne Rads (Bigger were put on the 05's)

Boyseen Pump & Impeller (I would do this to the 05 as well)

Engine Ice

Two2Cool

WhiteBrothers Pipe/Canister

Boyseen Quick Shot Excelorator pump cover

Power Now complete system

Hope this helps!

Arn't those Fluidyne Rads just the best.

I run them aswell,,,,for woods riding, and I tell ya........they're huge. Love'm.

I have an 04 and have not had the valves move one bit.

I did however cut an oil groove in the cam journal to prevent the cam from locking up.

Also............do not torque the cam caps to the specified value in the manual. You WILL sieze it up.

Cheers.

Good luck.

Joe

/QUOTE]

Hey Cyclepop . . did you do anything with the valve seats? Are the Kibblewhite valves Ti or Stainless?

Who did the head work?

Thanks

Hmm this is all very interesting,

If I was using a modified head how often would I be performing top end work? I looked at Kibble White's website sort of a weird gothic/industrial theme website, (I really think they need to look into website design) either way, I've looked at the kits available and which is the best kit?

It's hard to understand but can you have variations of the valve kits etc? How do valve guides work, anyhow where are they in the valve train? is it between the shim bucket and the stem seal or afterwards? Sorry but I work on BMW's so you know the story...

Does anyone know what the factory Suzuki teams run in their valve trains?

Thanks again

Honda0001

/QUOTE]

Hey Cyclepop . . did you do anything with the valve seats? Are the Kibblewhite valves Ti or Stainless?

Who did the head work?

Thanks

Kibblewhite Blackdiamond Valves Ti - http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/Cyclepop/valves.jpg

Kibblewhite Spring Kit - http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/Cyclepop/skits1.jpg

We did not touch the valve seats as they looked fine. However I hear this does help a bit if you are not real pro-active on valve train maintenance and adjusting.

My head work was done by ProMax Power Sports in Springtown Texas. The machinist there is BadAss, he is one of the best in the business. I can email you his info, if you do not have anyone around there???

Kibblewhite Blackdiamond Valves Ti - http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/Cyclepop/valves.jpg

Kibblewhite Spring Kit - http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/Cyclepop/skits1.jpg

We did not touch the valve seats as they looked fine. However I hear this does help a bit if you are not real pro-active on valve train maintenance and adjusting.

My head work was done by ProMax Power Sports in Springtown Texas. The machinist there is BadAss, he is one of the best in the business. I can email you his info, if you do not have anyone around there???

On the buckets/tappets, did you go with the standard or the PVD-coated?

I also noticed, they list different part #s for the RMZ 250 . . . wouldn't these be the same for the Kawi?

I would imagne they would be the same. We went with standard buckets and tappets. We also are running a stock timing chain. The machinist wanted to do some trick stuff, however I ran out of $$$. Got to save my coins!

Hmm this is all very interesting,

If I was using a modified head how often would I be performing top end work? I looked at Kibble White's website sort of a weird gothic/industrial theme website, (I really think they need to look into website design) either way, I've looked at the kits available and which is the best kit?

It's hard to understand but can you have variations of the valve kits etc? How do valve guides work, anyhow where are they in the valve train? is it between the shim bucket and the stem seal or afterwards? Sorry but I work on BMW's so you know the story...

Does anyone know what the factory Suzuki teams run in their valve trains?

Thanks again

Honda0001

The factory Suzuki's run everything stock but they rebuild the motors every weekend. Even then many did not make it all the way through some of the motos. They also, near the end of the season tried some of the after market stuff and seemed to have pretty good luck. Can't tell you who's parts they used, but it wasn't one of the big companies.

By what do you mean it wasn't one of the big companies?

What is Mike Brown running in his 2006 bike does anyone know?

Kibblewhites Stainless and spring kit for the less maintainance minded... But use Stock Titanium Valves with the PC valve spring kit works awesome too. But check clearances @ .004"-.006" regularly.

Well, even though my bike is a 450 I thought I'd still like to say that after every ride I clean the oil filter and after every 2-3 rides (depending on how hard and how long I road it) I change oil.

BTW, My schedual for checking crap is about the same as Honda0001's except I check valves every 12 hours of riding.

I use the WMR springs and buckets, I'm at 14 hours on them and my valves haven't moved one bit.