what street bikes are DRZers riding?

I really love my S, but I'm putting a Kendra Trackmaster II up front, the Tera-Flex II in back, going to a 14T CSS and getting new springs and a shock. Maybe that'll be fine for around town, but doing extended street rides? I'll have to see.

In the meantime, I'm just wondering: what street bikes do you guys like?

I like sitting up high and I like the lightweight and pull of my (modified) DRZ. But I'd like to be able to do 80 comfortably with a little reserve and maybe have something with a windshield on it.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a TLS for the track and street. It's not real comfortable for the long haul though. I like the sitting up high too, but I also like cruising around on my Dad's Vulcan 500 sometimes. I also have a Seca II but it doesn't run. I hear it's a cold natured beast that's low on power and ill handling anyway. I plan to fix and sell it.

My TLS :banghead:

I have a V-Strom 650, way more cushy then the DRZ, but a bit heavier. Have a Givi top bag, would like to get some side bags, maybe next spring when I recoup form my DRZ mods. Really like the FI thought, starts easy, ready to go pretty quick, smooth power.

Would like to get a sport bike sometime in the future but that will take some smooth talking with the wife.

In the process of selling my 1998 ZX9R. Just bought a buddies 2002 Yamaha FZ1 with Ohlins rear suspension, Racetech rebuilt forks, yosh pipe, and some extra bits. Much more comfortable, but it is taking me a while to get use to the different front end feel being that I am more upright.

I suggest looking at a DL650.

I've owned about 15 bikes over 30 something years. Light weight is a big plus along with dual sport capabilities. I am interested in the wee strom but wish it weighed 30 pounds less.

Tom

I ride a 2002 Triumph Sprint RS. It's at the sporty end of the SPORT-touring range of bikes. Comfy enough for 500 mile days in the twisties, good strong linear power, handles decent. Less power, more weight and cheaper suspension than a full on sportbike, but like I said, I can do 400-500 miles a day on it, day after day. It's a great all-around bike.

That said, I'm looking for something more focused and sporty. Perhaps the new Triumph Datyona 675, or a killer deal on a leftover Triumph Daytona 955i. Love those triple engines. The new Yamaha FZ1 has my attention too.

Along with the 400S, I've got a SV-650. It's been a good bike. I has enough power to keep things interesting and can carry some nice corner speed. I do get left a bit by my big bore buddies in the straights, but the twisties are the equalizer.

That said, I'm looking for something more focused and sporty. Perhaps the new Triumph Datyona 675, or a killer deal on a leftover Triumph Daytona 955i. Love those triple engines. The new Yamaha FZ1 has my attention too.

i second the triple love. i have a 98' tiger that is a blast. it's a huge unwieldy bastard, but it's comfy, rips through the twisties, and is blast on my steap and gnarly dirt/gravel driveway. i too am in the market for a sportbike and was looking at the cbr600RR or the 2002 titanium grey 748, but now that i've seen the new daytona 675 i think i'm getting that.

as for tigers in general, i'm not a fan of the new/current style, but the tiger design is a bit old, and i would not be suprised if it's the next triumph to get a facelift. the old style ones like mine have a weaker aftermarket, but i love the look and they can be had for much less than a comparable (year/miles) GS. the GS is a great bike and all, but i've ridden several, and i prefer my tiger.

anyway here's the beast...

IMG_0352.jpg