Sign in to follow this  

2nd O ring??

I recently completed my 1st oil change (bikes 2nd) on my 04 S that I purchased back in May. Being new to changing oil on this bike, I searched this forum and found good advice and tips. One has me a little puzzled tho. Some folks described 2 O-rings in or around the oil filter compartment. Well I was VERY careful removing the oil filter cover and filter. I had a screen beneath the bike (over the oil pan) to catch any falling parts. After careful inpection of the oil filter compartment and the screen. No 2nd O-ring. Yes there was a large O-ring used to seal the filter compartment to the cover and in inner spring to hold the filter in place. Have other folks here encountered 2 O rings? :banghead: The owners manual describes only 1 O ring and the spring.... hmmm. :banghead:

The other "O" ring goes inside the filter cavity between the filter and the spigot that the filter fits on. It usually sticks to the filter when it is removed.

What screen?

I have an oil pan for used oil... sits on the floor of my garage. It comes equipped with a screen to catch small parts such the 2nd Oring or small bolts that might fall during an oil change.

sounds like your bike is missin #11

Yep... What will running without this O-ring do to an S? It's been like this for about 2600 miles. :banghead:

Some oil will be bypassing the filter without the "O" ring. Replace the missing "O" ring and don't worry about it. Has it been 2600 miles between oil changes? I would worry more about that. Depending on where and how you ride, oil changes are recommended from 100 to 1000 miles.

Some oil will be bypassing the filter without the "O" ring. Replace the missing "O" ring and don't worry about it. Has it been 2600 miles between oil changes? I would worry more about that. Depending on where and how you ride, oil changes are recommended from 100 to 1000 miles.

Already ordered the replacement Oring... Ride mostly on the road to/from work (18 miles/day). But I did the S500 recently (about 310 miles mostly off road) and occasionally get into gnarly off road single track woods/rocks/mud yadayada. I was just going by the owners manual... doh! I guess I'll change it more often??? What's a good rule of thumb 100 or 1000??? Heck, I'll have 100 miles on in a week. That $28 bucks I just spent on the synthetic MOTUL seems pretty (gulp) steep every 100 miles. :banghead:

Just bought the items needed to do an oil change. Like most people, I thought I could avoid the local dealer and get items online for less. I was suprised to find the local dealer only charged me $10 for genuine Suzuki oil fiter, both O-rings and both crush washers. Online with shiping charges it would of cost me $16 and this did not even include the crush washers. The 2 quarts of Moblie MX4T... Well let's not go there.