Sign in to follow this  

Jump practice, no motor

Just thought I would share how I practice my jumps..

I came from the North Shore of Vancouver extreme MTB scene to T.O. and put the MTB away and picked up a new CRF250R. I did MX 20 years ago..

So one day I'm bored and grab my old MTB and go to find these dirt jumps. They were two tables with a good kick on each one with a hill top start, two cranks and just giver!!!

After about 20 runs in 30 min I start working on the whip! got it!!! then no footers! got it!!! then a scrub! got it!! then some beer I was beat :banghead:

Now I practice all the time and have the movements down so when I'm back on the MX bike I start trying it :banghead: other than the extra weight and throttle control its pretty similar.

If you call around to you local MTB store they will let you know where the local trails (jump trails in BMX speak) are.

A good dirt jump bike starts at $1000 CDN with disk brakes and a good 4-5 in fork. Don't bother with rear suspension you don't need it.

Sorry for the long post but it was so fun I had to share

I was talking to a local bicycle shop just the other day and they said that a lot of MX riders get MTB's for training. They said they flip the brakes around for you so you dont grab what you think is the clutch and endo yourself. The bike the dude showed me had front and rear disc's with front suspension and sold for around $350 US, the full suspension bikes were around a $1000.

Yeah i found jumping my mountain bike is like a dirtbike. It has the same feel to it

Yes I agree. Six months ago I gave up National DH MTB'ing. It has certainly helped my MX. Believe it or not, I find it easier to do a 50ft tabletop jump on MX bike than a 25ft stepdown road-gap on a MTB.

Yeah it is great pratice. Alittle different since you have no motor and its so dam light, its all about pedeling up the speed. I take it out to the local BMX track and ahh everyone. All the BMXers these days role everything,, ya thats the fastest way. But what fun is rolling 20 ft tables and camel backs. They are all like, Dude we never seen anyone jump those, let alone on a MB.

Jumping off my old skate ramp,

jump1.jpg

i also agree...after i go moutain biking and hit some big jumps i get home, go dirt biking and think well i can do this i was just doing it on my bmx...just think psitivee thoughts

If you ever get the chance to try out a 20 inch BMX bike on a smooth Pro BMX track you will have a blast.

I went by in the summer put on all my gear including goggles at the truck then ripped it up with the 12 year olds , my wife is still laughing at me.

I don't roll the jumps, I pump into them :banghead::banghead:

Loved the big berms too, if you hit them just right you shoot right out of them into the next jump...pure flow

I love mountain biking! It really helps with riding. Unfortunately, I moved away from the good dirt jumps. Used to BMX, find it too small now.

had a jump in my back yard. i was jumpin my walmart mt bike

well it bent the front fork and front wheel lol were gonna return it and get a real mt bike

I raced BMX for over 10 years and now I've gotten back into MX. I haven't touched a dirtbike since I was about 10 - I'm now 32 and this will be my second year of track riding. It is definately coming back to me, but I'm very rusty. BMX and MX are very similar, except for the fact the BMX is very unforgiving. you must be smooth because of the lack of suspension. It is nice having suspension on the CRF if I come up a little short trying new stuff. My natural tendency is to speed jump and scrub, but without Bubba's experience...it doesn't quite work. I find myself "pre-jumping" pushing down before jumps to be smooth. I still have a problem relying on my suspension because although similar, it is different. :banghead: