Sign in to follow this  

DualSPort that doesn't looking lame

Hey everyone, i'm trying to figure out what kinda bike to get next spring but i'm just not digging the looks of the DRZ or XR etc

What's a good looking bike that's still reliable? I know a CRFx would be slick but I need something more reliable for the backcountry trips.

Does anyone have any pictures of good looking DS's?

Thanks

PS why do enduro bikes have those dorky shock boots???

---------Oh MY I just found the bike I need to have! I was just reading about that Husky TE450 WOW this is EXACTLY what I want!!!!!!!!!

If you want a good looking dual sport do as I did and convert a WR. I noticed the same thing when shopping for factory dual sport, none of them looked good.

Ride the Wolf!

http://www.taskysmetriccycle.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/p1010002hu.jpg

http://www.taskysmetriccycle.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/p1010001hu.jpg

the blinkers aren't mounted yet, but that is the 2006 street legal TE-450. This bike is definitely not lame.

Sweet Bike, someday maybe I'll spring for a Husky again, they're nice bikes.

Heres mine, not a Husky but not lame

Towers.jpg

Ride the Wolf!

the blinkers aren't mounted yet, but that is the 2006 street legal TE-450. This bike is definitely not lame.

It just needs a bigger fuel tank

IMS get busy!!

Those TE450's are off the chain.

How is Husky's reliability? I know nothing about them and are the priced competivley with the other big 4?

The Husky is just like the KTM EXC - it's a race bike that can be ridden on the street. Both are high maintenanace with frequent service intervals like oil change and valve adjustment. The EXC has easy screw-type valve adjusters. The Husky requires that both cams be removed. The EXC has stainless valves, the Husky titanium.

The EXC has a MUCH better dealer and parts network, and MUCH better resale value. Husky has been in financial trouble for the last few years and parts and support are still very iffy. Evaluate your local dealer before you decide!

The TE is probably a better woods bike with tighter spread in the gears, but not as comfy on the highway. However, it appears for '06 that Husky may have corrected that limitation:

Comparing the KTM EXC vs Husqvarna TE 510 Gear Ratios for Dual Sport Use

I think a street legal EXC makes more sense, though I admit the new '06 TE bikes are looking better than ever. If the dealer support and resale value was there I would probably have bought a TE510.

Both are reliable bikes, but you have to keep up on the maintenance.

John Davies

In stock form most dual sports are pretty timid, but the price is right for most of us, and modding is fun as well as providing pride in your work and machine.

My bike isnt lame and takes me pretty much anywhere I could possibly hope to explore. At 40, it fits me just right!

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=6364

2003 XR650L, bought stock and mods self-installed.

well i'll admit my 2004 dr650se looked a bit lame right off the showroom floor but it's starting to shape up don't you think:D

PA010016.jpg

it's a work in progress the mirrors are next to go then the handguards and i think i'll be finally happy

The Husky requires that both cams be removed. The EXC has stainless valves, the Husky titanium.

The EXC has a MUCH better dealer and parts network, and MUCH better resale value. Husky has been in financial trouble for the last few years and parts and support are still very iffy. Evaluate your local dealer before you decide!

The TE is probably a better woods bike with tighter spread in the gears, but not as comfy on the highway. However, it appears for '06 that Husky may have corrected that limitation:

Both are reliable bikes, but you have to keep up on the maintenance.

John Davies

:banghead: I must be doing something wrong cuz I dont remove my cams to adjust my valves and parts I order are on my doorstep the day after I order them and availability of parts (stock and aftermarket) are great. The gears are close ratio but thats why they give you 6 of 'em. My Husky holds 1 1/2 quarts of oil, which I believe is more than most KTM's. :banghead:

I have ridden with people on both EXC's and the Husky's. The Husky's rip though the tight stuff.From ridding behind both I would say the husky is more nimble! Sharpie has offered to let me ride his several times,but I am afraid I would be buying a new Husky. And I have already bought my new bike for 05.But 06 is just around the corner!

In stock form most dual sports are pretty timid, but the price is right for most of us, and modding is fun as well as providing pride in your work and machine.

My bike isnt lame and takes me pretty much anywhere I could possibly hope to explore. At 40, it fits me just right!

That's a sweet looking bike!

Sorry, i've had three of those.

They are LAME. :banghead:

Its 4 gallons, I dont really know the range but I would guess I could get 120 miles off road easy. Good question :banghead: .

yeah--thats odd---i've put 3500 miles on my 2005 Husqvarna Te 510 and only needed to adjusted the valves once--and i didnt have to pull the cams out!

IN fact--its a 15 minute operation. remove 5 bolts, nothing more. SUPER EASY to re-shim this bike. Totally different than KTM, Honda or others.

The Husqvarna is awesome. WAY more reliable than a Honda.

Parts are NO PROBLEM and its driving me nuts to see idiots post on here about getting husky parts. Its not an issue - at all.

The Huskies are incredible bikes--they have been refining their modern 4 strokes for several years now and have all the bugs worked out.

As for aftermarket stuff-its all available. From the IMS tank (Clark also) to the CRD radiator guards to the Rooster shark fins, and much much more.

Husky rawks!

Its 4 gallons, I dont really know the range but I would guess I could get 120 miles off road easy. Good question :banghead: .

That about the same I get now with my YZ and the 3.7 gallon tank

I could live with that :banghead:

The real question is can I live without the 7k🤣

Dualsport isnt about the bike as much as it is the ride. Dualsport bikes can do so much more than a typical clown bike you see in the Moto-X mags. The goofy fork boots serve a purpose. I had em on my goofy XR and I never blew a seal. I have a KTM now and I dread the day I do. My KTM has a neat MX style seat, my goofy XR had a nice comfy seat. My KTM is more fun to ride than my XR but not always. I see a lot of goofys on KTM's that should be on goofy XR's. :banghead: