Jump takeoff tips

Whenever i go off the face of a jump i have a tendancy to pull up on the bars ,but i can't feel that i'm pulling up.When i get in to the air my front end rises real high and it gets pretty scary sometimes,and it slows me down alot.I already got down the back brake check in the air,but do any of you guys have any tips for me for getting down the front end .Thanks :banghead:

make sure you stand up and dont fall back on the seat in the launch transition, lean SLIGHTY foward it will eliminate your tendency to pull up, you need to let off the throttle right after the back tire gets off the launch and you have perfect curve through the air assuming you flail/scrub a little

Do it like Pro60 says, you want to be alittle forward off the face. This will make you leave the ground more level, and the closer you are to that, the easier it is to adjust in the air. Alot of times I don't even need the rear brake, I just lean forward and it goes there.

Whenever i go off the face of a jump i have a tendancy to pull up on the bars ,but i can't feel that i'm pulling up.When i get in to the air my front end rises real high and it gets pretty scary sometimes,and it slows me down alot.I already got down the back brake check in the air,but do any of you guys have any tips for me for getting down the front end .Thanks :banghead:

Welcome to TT, Yzrider. Lots of great info here. For me, the biggest thing in getting comfortable jumping was learning how to balance on the footpegs everywhere on the track, including jumps. Check out my post in this old thread for more info.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155180

When your balance is right, you should feel like the bike is lifting you up into the air off jumps by only the footpegs, not by the seat or bars. It's a great feeling when you start getting it right :banghead:

When your balance is right, you should feel like the bike is lifting you up into the air off jumps by only the footpegs, not by the seat or bars. It's a great feeling when you start getting it right :banghead:

I've never heard it discribed that way, but you are 100% right. :banghead: Its why I just can't stop riding, probably ever. There is nothing like that feeling.

Its amazing, but when you look straight down and you see the number plate, your usually in the right position for just about everything. Its the attack position and its how the bike was designed to be ridden.

But notice in that pic...the front wheel is off the ground already...and he's on the gas...but I bet he was off the gas before the back wheel left the ground..which makes a huge difference in the way the bike flys.

I'll notice when my buddies are playing games and messing with my clickers (we'll do that now and then) when there's too much rebound in the rear, the front will fly really high, because Im expecting it to kick back a tad and it doesnt and its air wheelie city. 1 click is all it takes most of the time.

You say you have got the brake tap down, so the only thing I can tell you is come off the lip of the jump forward on the bike. Not too much, but a little more than normal. Also, when you tap the rear brake, lean forward and push on the bars. :banghead:

I'm not the best at break tapping so I use an old BMX trick, I let the bike come to me in the air by allowing my legs to absorb the push off the face. Basically my goal is to let the tank come up to my chest as I push the bike forward. Then I move to the front just like the other guys said. I can usually pick which way I want to land just from how much I absorb off the face. Actually I usually prefer to land front first, but if I need to land back first I'll follow the same technique as I described, but then pull up on the bars with a little panic rev just before I land to put the rear down on the ground.

I guess it's kind-a hard to describe since I don't really think about it when I'm doing it, but in short, stiff legs off the face for rear landing, or soak the lift up with your legs and push the bars forward for a front landing.

As always, try it over a little single or small double 'till you get the hang of it.

i have been practicing for a bit now, but I find that the "shit" factor limits how fast I hit the takeoff, I have been keeping the gas on, but as I am not really clearing more than 5 or 8 feet I really do not get much air time, and end up not really letting off the gas, and the engine winds up pretty good. Also alot of times my feet seem to leave the pegs while going down. Is this okay? as this is usually during the jumps that actually feel good.

yea im on hard and depending on the lip i might burp it or keep on till about right after the front wheel leaves the ground, i know some ppl who didnt and they always brake tapped. well when the time came and they were too far back the brake tap didnt work and they munched it. and truely that feeling is the most awesome in the world, just floating. am i the only one or does time slow down when ur in the air cuz its soooo awesome?

Also alot of times my feet seem to leave the pegs while going down. Is this okay? as this is usually during the jumps that actually feel good.

No problem with your feet drifting off a bit, as long as it's easy and natural for you to pull the bike back to you with your heels before you land. Here's a thread on the subject of staying with the bike in the air FYI:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234297

• Experts

The most important part of the jump is where the bike actually leaves the ground, where you have the compression and rebound part of the jump. What gives you control at this critical part of the jump is your body movements and throttle control. Along with this body movement and throttle control is timing. The timing is so critical that the body movement and throttle control has to be an automatic reflex reaction. This is why it takes so much time and practice to learn to jump well. Key into the compressing and rebound part of the jump, move your body back a little as the rear wheel kicks up and blip the throttle a little at the same time. This will cause the front wheel to stay level or come up a little. If the front wheel is too high don’t move back as much or give it as much throttle.

I hope this helps. :banghead:

I am in the same situation too (Cavi). I am currently learning to jump and I tend to endo sometimes, or even end up doing a no-footer in the air unexpectually!. All down to having the right speed and throttle response whether you are trying to clear or land correctly on the tabletop and the body language. I feel that when I lean over the front while soaking up the compression, it seems to work better for me than leaning back as I tend to endo or land awkwardly. It's probably me as I need more practice. I use progressive power up the lip then shut off until the back is just coming to land and then I power. If I am only in the air for a short space of time, I don't bother to blip the throttle as I am not in the air longer enough!