Update 1982 Yz250j

You did an incredible job on that bike. It looks great.

A local salvage yard in Utah, Ricks Cycle Parts, has several 82 yz parts bikes. If you get stuck on footpegs, let me know. I coudl stop by and see if his look ok.

I had an 82 YZ 250. I bought it when I turned 18. I hated the bike. I really hated it. It was 20 years before I bought another Yamaha. I almost passed on THAT bike because it was labeled as a J2. It reminded me of my 82.

Its funny how the years have changed my opinion on the bike.

It was very strange to open up the engine on my "New" 98 YZ 250 and find a powervalve that was virtually identical to the 82 bike.

I remember back when I was a teenager, riding next to a guy with one of these and envying him! The guy who owned it sold me the biggest POS bike Ive ever owned, a 76 Honda CR250 Elisnore! I remember watching him from my Dads barn ripping through the orchard, and pulling a wheelie while he was doing at least 45 or better watching him lose it in slow motion! The bike going over and him skidding down the orchard on his knees! Damn Im old! BTW, nice job on the bike!!

the "plumbing" has been completely redone and does not use the stock rounting (through the triple clamp and steering stem). The stock set up was the achilles heel of this year model. I used formed hoses from a 2004 Acura TL and rounted the hoses like the 1976 OW works bikes. It looks good, works and doesn't leak a drop! :banghead:

Satch, I know you already heard this but that bike looks awesome! I remember seeing and wanting one of those when I was a kid. IMO that was one of the best looking bikes of '82 - but the magazines, Bob Hannah, and the general population roasted it. Still one of my favorites though- to look at, not ride!

the "plumbing" has been completely redone and does not use the stock rounting (through the triple clamp and steering stem). The stock set up was the achilles heel of this year model. I used formed hoses from a 2004 Acura TL and rounted the hoses like the 1976 OW works bikes. It looks good, works and doesn't leak a drop! :banghead:

Hey Satch great job it looks sweet - I am wanting to do a vintage too.

Here is a couple of sites that may be able to help you - :banghead:

http://www.mxworksbike.com

And for the Red guys:

http://www.red-racer.com

Wow, that sure does bring back some serious memories. Even though that bike was to big for me around that time, I can still remember around 86-87 my buddy bought one. We thought is was the sweetest bike out there and were all scared to ride it.

Great job restoring that bike, it looks brand spankin' new!

I agree w/93GT. That bike was a pile! When it came out, everybody wanted one because the '81 YZ125 was such a great bike. I was lucky enough to ride my friends before I put $ down. It was way to top heavy. Can't believe RJ & Glover rode production based bikes back then! I had an '81 that I rode for 2 1/2 seasons, just to be sure Yamaha got it right.

However, great job on the restoration. It looks awesome. You spent all that time & $, why not put a new clutch lever on it?

HOLY CRAP!!! Look at the weight on the spec page http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/Satch0922/Vintage%20MX/250Jpg6.jpg that thing weight 390.5LBS-and that is claimed by the factory. If that is anything like todays claimed weights...that bike was over 400LBS!!!! YIKES

390lbs is with the rider aboard.......curb weight is what the bike weighs. That is how they used to measure them before they figured out they could trick people into thinking the bikes are lighter ! LOL