Sign in to follow this  

quick 450x suspension advice

okay i've posted about my problems with my suspension ---bucking and skipping like crazy and after i took it to a shop to revalve the same problems occured...so talking with my brother he had the same problem (different bike) and he said going to a stiffer spring took care of it...well i tried that it stopped throwing me sideways but i never touched the bump and unless i hit it at 90 way to stiff...

so here is the quantry...the stock spring is supposedlly for a 160# rider, with gear i'm 200 and change...which is why i went stiffer...the guy at the shop says i need to go softer and that boggles my mind...

WHAT SHOULD I DO? does this make logic sense...i'm about ready to tell him to fly a kite but i've already dropped 7 bills into it and can't afford to start over....

thanks for any input you guys have........t.kelley

First of all, the quality and consistency of stock Honda springs varies a bit. The springs also sack out very quickly. Honda has been known to ship the bikes with the alternate springs, as well (standard, softer, and stiffer are options).

If you use the Race Tech spring calculator, and be honest about the ready to ride weight, then you will have the proper spring rate. HOWEVER: the stock suspension valving will NOT hold up to stiffer springs. The rebound will be way off. You can't change the springs without changing the valve stack arrangement, to suit your weight, riding style, and riding level. This bike is heavy, and it needs to be fine tuned, or it rides like a freight train on a pogo stick.

I had my 450x valving done by ESP suspension, after picking out my own springs (5.9/.49). It transformed the bike completely. No, it doesn't ride like my '02 R, but it does stomp the KTM 450EXC and the WR450F to death in the handling (still to heavy).

Sag setting, compression and rebound setting reccomendations from the suspension tuner should remain unchanged for a few rides, until you get to understand what you already have. Don't change any suspension clickers until you get the sag right. Sag is the key, once the bike is riding up in the stroke just enough.

If you have spent 700 on suspension ,and it isn't working well, you did something wrong, or, the person who did it for you should remedy his mistake.

Slow down the rebound,for sure. What shop was this ?

You absolutely do not want a softer spring. Really, just a little firmer than stock should be fine, or even stock stiffened up some.

Let us know what happens. I'm getting ready to do a Race Tech re-valve with stiffer springs, I need them. But some people I really respect are saying the X should be set at 3.5" of sag, not 4" , and have dropped their forks 1cm,too, with great results. Doug

alright the guy who set up my suspension kept telling me to go softer...i don't know suspensions but to me you set the spring to the weight then adjust the shock accordingly...so i went to a softer spring after apprehension and it feels better... make sense out of this for me please

The reason your poko -ing is because you are riding lower on softer springs (either stock or these new ones). That means you are closer to mid stroke, which is where the suspension gets stiffer. Putting in softer springs may make it seem nicer in the slow small stuff, but you will blow thru your fork stroke when you hit something at speed or land from a jump. Been there, done that, got the stitches.

These guys are not telling you wrong. Back off the rebound and see if that helps. If not, use the race tech spring calculator http://www.racetech.com/evalving/menu/searchdirt.asp

and have a professional rebuild your forks with the right spring rates. You won't believe the difference

By the way, haven't you ever flushed 7 bills before? Next time, come to TT before you modify. :applause: Go to the party infomed! Expensive lesson learned. :ride: Ok, no more preaching

I just checked the race tech spring rate calculator and I put 200lbs in for my weight and it said to go to a .460 kg from the stock .470kg.

450X 2005 desert/enduro/trail setting

The shock spring it said to go up to 5.52kg from the stock 5.5kg.