Sign in to follow this  

How to check rings?

need to know how, I have my head off. Now i need to check the rings. Starts up first kick but SMOKES LIKE A TRAIN.

I check rings while it's still together... easier that way... compression test... then squirt a little oil in the plug hole... if compression goes up... rings are worn...

since you have it apart... take the rings off the piston and put them inside the cylinder... make sure the depth is even all the way around... Then measure your end gap... the book will tell you maximum allowable tolerances

I check rings while it's still together... easier that way... compression test... then squirt a little oil in the plug hole... if compression goes up... rings are worn...

since you have it apart... take the rings off the piston and put them inside the cylinder... make sure the depth is even all the way around... Then measure your end gap... the book will tell you maximum allowable tolerances

Its there a place i could buy just the rings? Bikebandit sells the hole kit including piston for like 22 dollars i think. Is that the best way to go?

hmm 80 rings are hard as hell to find standard sized is it over bored at all?

ALL stock.

If i bought a new piston from bikebandit would it include everything?

Slighlty open oil fill while kicking or running and feel if it blows air or oil out. That will tell you if the crank case is being pressurized by blowby from bad rings. If not look in to valve oil seals.

204191-001 is the part number for the ring set on bike bandit for the 03 XR80r

what year is your bike

its a 1981. Thanks for everyones help.

Hi Boxfan , usually the rings and piston are sold separately ! XR 80 standard bore

is 48 mm ------ the max wear limit is 48.10 mm. If your bore is a bit sloppy you might be better off with a rebore to the nearest oversize ! If it's OK , a new piston and rings will help tighten things up , but by the time an XR is blowing smoke , the bore will more than likely at it's wear limit at the top of the bore ! When you do put new rings on the piston , make sure you don't stretch them out too much and also , the ring gap staggering needs to be right .