Sign in to follow this  

Under water

I just got done riden alittle bit ago a a near by pit and i went to go threw a big water puddle but i didnt think it would be 4 feet deep and when i got half way threw my bike just sunk and the airbox went under and the muffler did for a quick second to and i pulled it out and tilted it back and i let the water run out the exhuast but i was plaining on cleaning my carb out and checking my valves any other suggestion on what i should do would be great?

ya, but if water gets into the engine it will corrode engine components, i don't know if running the bike will be enough to get rid of all the water.

WOAHHHHH, wait a minute. It is just a little water, don't start talking about a rebuild just yet. Tipping it up and draining the water from the exhaust was the first step. Next would be to remove the air filter and make sure it is dry, if it isn't dry it as best as you can and make sure there is not any standing water in the carb inlet. If you find water in the carb, you will want to try and dry it as best you can. Next drain the oil as soon as you can, riding it back to the truck should not hurt it. Next, change the oil, ride for 10 or 15 minutes and change it again. Do this until the oil comes out clear looking, water in the engine will cause the oil to become milky looking. When the oil comes out clear, do it one more time and you will be good to go. Hope this helps.

Josh

Pull the spark plug and kick the bike over a few times to make sure no water is trapped in the cylinder. a hydo locked piston will snap a connecting rod in a hurry. Change the oil regardless if it's milky or not because oil is cheaper than parts.

There was a post a while back which had a link to a photo instructional showing the steps to dewater a bike totally submerged, :banghead: while in the field. The steps would allow you to dewater and get back on and ride home. I think the bike was a two stroke but there may be similarities. There was no mention of a rebuild. Do a search and you might find that link; it was very interesting.

Change the oil. Then change it again. And again. And again. Put a new filter in the final time. Warm it up between each change. In my experiences you have to change 4 times to get most of the water out.