Sign in to follow this  

got a slight problem...need some inpute please!!

I was re shimming my crf250x this weekend and when i put it all back together i went to kick it, but the kick just stoped dead and would not turn the engine over. it felt like somthing was the piston or somthing. anyways we then figured out that during the vavle adjustment the timing chain fell off of the crank sproket at the bottome of the engine and had gotten wound up on itself.. my question is what is the best approch to fixing this problem? is there an easy tecnique to get it on withought having to take the bottom part of the engine off or should i just go through the cover on the left side?

thanks!!! anything helps

Same thing happened to me.First time it happened i was able to use a long skinny screwdriver to fix the chain and get it on the sprocket.The next time it happened i took off the left cover and it was easy to fix.The only thing ,make sure you have an extra gasket on hand just in case it rips.Sometimes you luck out and it comes off with no problems and you can reuse the gasket but better safe than sorry.

yeh it would be best to take the cover off just to check you aint damaged anything.

next time you take your cam out cable tie the chain to the frame to keep tension on it.

It sounds to me like your cam chain is out of synch with the marks on the cam sprocket and the one in the gear box. Happened to me, couldn't kick it because a valve was hitting the piston due to the chain being on the wrong teeth of the sprocket. Follow hecklers awsome post in the stickys, and make sure both marks on the cam sprocket are where they are supposed to be and the mark in the gear box is in position then your cam chain will be correct. When you take it apart wire up the chain. I don't think it can get too far off the lower sprocket down there to cause much problem if you can get the chain on the top sprocket. Trick is getting it on the exact tooth alignment. Having a really long very small straight head screw driver held in place with vice grips releasing the cam chain tention allows you to move the chain, but it takes some finess. When you get it on the correct teeth, it will all fall into place nicely when you let the tention back on the chain. All the marks go completely where they are supposed to be.

The cam chain can get bunched up down below if you don't keep it up high enough but it will usually come loose if you pull up on it while turning the crank.

if you have a good magnet in on hand remove the side cver and you with a little finess can get it straigh if not borrow a flywhhe puller make sure it has the cap ror the end of the crank and pull the flywheel off and at the bottom of thr timming gear theres a keeper remove it and fix er up crf is the easyes tmotor to work on time is all you need and a hond manual good luck danger around the tree's

pull the left cover (5 min) , mine was off the crank sprocket , when finishing up a top end, got lucky and noticed it when throughing on the cam. and I reused the gasket too, no leaks . good luck!

thanks guys, i think im gonna go through the case since the chain is all bound up down there. i cant get it to un-kink by puling on it from the top so i think that is the best approch.