Sign in to follow this  

Cam Chain

Ticking or tapping noise comming from My cam chain. So I took it to the dealer because I have a 5 year extended Warranty. He said that Kawasaki will not cover the warranty because the problem is a stretched cam chain. The dealer also said the cam chain tensioner has reached it's max length. Now my bike is a 2003 KLX 400, dirt version. It is really a DRZ 400 sold with green plastic by Kawasaki and probably only has about 1500 miles on the bike. My thought is that there is no way that the cam chain should be done on a bike that is about 2 1/2 years old. The Dealer wants $590.00 to fix it. Dose anyone no anything about cam chains that stretch so soon ? ....Barrie

With the automatic cam chain stretcher installed by the factory they can stretch fairly quickly. Oh and the dealer is trying to rip you off, it is not that big of a job to replace a cam chain. When you get done with it install a manual cam chain tensioner and adjust it properly (very easy to do) and then you won't have to worry about it again for a very long time.

So I took it to the dealer because I have a 5 year extended Warranty. He said that Kawasaki will not cover the warranty because the problem is a stretched cam chain.
What does the term "warranty" mean to your freakin' dealer? Does it have to break first?

Sounds like they're jerkin' you around, brutha.

What does the term "warranty" mean to your freakin' dealer? Does it have to break first?

Sounds like they're jerkin' you around, brutha.

How true, didn't pick up on that part. I'm not sure I'd want them to work on my bike, in fact I know I wouldn't but that is not the point here. If you were to call the customer relations department at Kawasaki I'm sure they would have something to say about it. I have had to call them twice in my life about two different instances with two different dealers. Both times I had reached an end with the business owner and so was left no other option but to call the manufacture directly. Both times I had a return call from the dealers in question within 1/2 hour and both times I got satisfaction.

I am somewhat mechanical. so with a manual, do you think it is an easy enough job? and something I could do in my garage?.....thanks

Hard to tell for sure but I know that I could do it really easily. We can help you out and talk you through it as well, some of us here have a bit of experience with these engines. Where abouts in cali you live? Maybe someone around to give you a hand and some pointers, I'm in oregon or else I'd offer.