Sign in to follow this  

Is my 01 570 too rich?

I have a 01 570 that I picked up recently. After riding it for a few hours (2 short trips to the nearby trails), it won't start. I'm guessing that perhaps the bike is too rich--it was set up for sea level and 70-80 temps, and I have it at 3000 ft and probably 90 degrees.

If I take out the spark plug and it is black, that's a good indication that it is setup too rich, right, and has fouled the plug?

If I am right on that, would adjusting the mixture screw be enough to resolve the too rich condition, or would it most likely take a jd kit and smaller main and pilot jets? (I just installed the JD ket in my Yamaha wr 450, and it worked wonders.) I ask because the bike seemed to run fine and not bog, pop, etc., so I don't think it is substantially rich, etc.

Thanks for any ideas!

If its a Delordo carb make sure the choke is not hanging up,there is a rubber

seal on the bottom of the chole plunger that get hard,if the is a divot in the rubber it

can leak past it,pry it out with a fine needle and turn it over and reinstall it.

So you think its too rich? When it would not start after riding it did you clear it out?-By pulling the manual compression release lever,and kicking it holding the throttle wide open to clear out the fuel in the engine?If you do this-then it starts using normal starting method,then I would agree it's getting too much fuel,does fuel drip out the float vent tube?This would indicate that the float needle is not seating-usually caused by dirt,or something in between the needle,and float. My sons '01 570 does not want to start sometimes after riding for a couple hours in 100+degree hot weather,sooo what we do is pull the primer down and try to start it -with throttle closed of course.It will hit a couple times-then shutoff primer and kick it again it will go ahead and take off.I have gone up 3 steps on the pilot,and 2 steps on the main,and it starts great!! I would check what jet sizes are in you're bike-I just have a hard time believing its jetted too rich-because the "01 TE570's were set up too lean from the factory. Of course always adjust the idle mixture,and speed after starting it and letting it warm up,do this every time you ride it,I would always let it idle while I put my roost gaurd,and gloves,helmet on,after starting,then have a small screwdriver within reach and just adjust ,and blast off! My '02 570 has a mikuni pumper carb -WOW what a difference in starting,and torque.-But after rejeting my sons "01 570 they are pretty close now! As for the black color of you're spark plug,this sometimes can be caused by how you were riding it before you pulled plug out-was it the first plug you replaced ? Air filter dirty?-too much oil on filter? Rich

I have an '01 TE400 with a Dellorto and had a a condition where my float needle and seat were not completely closing, raising the fuel level in the bowl, but not enough to come out of overflow tube. The bike was impossible to start with petcocks open, if I closed the petcocks and did the clear out drill(open throttle, hold manual decomp open, hold kill switch, kick through ten times and then start normally) it would start fine. I could restart it easily until fuel in bowl ran out, but as soon as I opened petcocks it wouldn't start. :banghead: My riding buddy has VOR's with Dellorto carbs and he was saying you have to rejet your bike is way too rich🤣 , but I thought it has always run fine before in temps from freezing to hot and humid with just adjusting the fuel screw. I pulled the carb, removed all the jets and cleaned it carefully and bike was back to normal. Dellortos like to be clean, a small bit of crap will cause problems and I would drain the carb if you are going to let it sit any length of time. Rich knows 570's, I'd follow his advice. :banghead:

Norman

Will give your advice a shot, barrobuild. Thanks! One thing I forgot to mention, the choke lever does not stay down (vertical), it wants to snap up to off. I had no trouble holdnig it down and kicking to get it started before, but probably best to pick up a new one if air can leak by, etc.

horstmeyerhusky, I didn't explain the situation clear enough. Sorry about that. The two short rides that I did were on differnet days, and the bike had no trouble starting for those rides. I never killed it durnig those rides, so I never restarted or tried a restart when it was hot.

My problem in starting the bike arose after the bike had been in the garage for a week, so not when it was hot after a ride.

As for jetting and the factory settings and rich vs lean, I'll have to check the jets. I don't know if they are factory or not because the prior owner had the bike serviced during his ownership by a husky dealer.

Are the factory jet numbers listed in the owner's manual?

To get different ones, is there a good online source to order them from? There is no Husky dealer that I am aware of in Vegas--but I'm a relative new comer, so if anybody knows of a local dealer, I'm all ears!

THanks for all the advice guys!

I have the same bike as Norman(TE400) 01, I have had a few intial problems with starting when I first got the bike. Pulled the carby apart and made sure all was good. I have left the factory settings as standard. A couple of things though, I never use the choke! Tried it once and couldn't start the bike! As Rich said make sure your airfilter is clean and not drowned in oil. I also use standard plugs C8e and change the oil after every ride. After 2 and a bit years the Hellhusky has not let me down! Another good thing to do to increase performance for no real cost is as follows:

Remove factory exhaust baffles

Drill out your airbox

You will be surprised at the difference, ask Gitch how his 570 went after the airbox mods!

Have fun and roost your mates!

Hellhusky

01 TE 400 exhaust/airbox mods/pazzaz fat bars/aggressive racing decals/twin headlight

Waiting for my air filter to dry out before I give it another try starting her up. I checked the carb float and all seemed well. I removed the jets, made sure they were clean, and they are 175 for the main, 62 for the pilot, 264, and 60. I have the idle screw out 2 turns.

One thing I noticed was a lot of gas in the bowl. On my 95 610, a lot of time if it wouldn't start it was because of all the gas down there. So, hopefully, that is what was the problem here!