Sign in to follow this  

Uh, an "X" question. . . . Doh!

I was wondering. How many of you guys (or should I say states) could buy an "X" model, take the motorcycle driver's license exam, pass it, then use your "X" on the highway?

You sure can in Ohio. You just need a dual sport kit, that's it.

I don't have it on mine, but just for fun when I got my title I went to the DMV, and she hands me a plate ! Probably just lucky, but really all you need is a dual-sport kit, have it inspected (blow horn, high beams on,etc.etc.,) and it can be done. Doug

Getting the bike licensed can be pretty easy. Kinda depends on your state and more specifically your local DMV office and how big of a pain in the ass they want to be. Here in California we've had all kinds of legislation changes back and fourth and its been pretty confusing for the later model bikes.

I've been surfing around the Dualsport forum looking at this because I just got an old XR500R for free and Im planning on riding it to work.

As a matter of fact, I should have my plate today or Monday...

plenty of people in the town I live in have put baja kits on their bikes and cruise them all over. With gas so expensive, it is a little cheaper. I've seen people do it to 250fs too! I'm more of a track rider so there would be too many changes for me. Its more popular though and it is allowed in Hawaii, TFB.

In Oregon all you need is a title, insurance, and $62. They don't look at your bike at all. And the title on my X said nothing about it being for off-road use only or anything like that.

You could in Nevada if you do the required DS mods, have a DMV inspection done at a approved cycle shop and get a motorcycle drivers license and insurance.