Sign in to follow this  

Pics, finally. Lower end damage

Well this was an 05 motor. I posted up about changing oil and the owner did not do that for a long time. So here are the pics:

Case Left

Case Right

Balancer shaft

Cylinder

Piston & rod

Crank

Basically after about 2 months of riding on the same oil, it broke down. Lower end bearing went out , rod went around a few more revolutions, then hit the counterbalance shaft breaking that and seizing the motor right there in the whoops.

Spendy lesson for the owner.

Wow that is harsh. My father thinks this is pure bullshit and thinks that going a 'little' over the reccomended oil change time will not cause that kind of damage.

Well parts alone is about $1000. Add labor and you are about 1500 into repairs.

Which is cheaper? 2 months of REGULAR oil and filter changes or new bottom end every 2 months?

I know what you mean. But my father is still hanging on to the train of thought that this COULD NOT happen due to not changing your oil. Is there anything that could PROVE to him that this is true and that I am not "jumping on the bandwagon" of thinking that this is fake?

DefaultPeanut,

Then tell your father not to change your oil for two months and let us know what happens.

BFS

I decided I will pick up some used cooking oil from some fast food place and give his vehicle a "oil change"... Or just scare him into thinking I did that... The last time he change the oil in that thing was mid 2003... time for an oil change huh ?

Default peanut- You can not possiby be serious TWO MONTHS of riding ,common! you should change your oil at least every three rides I prefer every two, if you want to wait two months to change your oil then your engine will end up just like the pictures posted. :banghead::banghead:🤣

When I first got my 01 WR250F I didnt change the oil for at least two months and it went fine. Ok call me what you want but I have talked a coulpe of friends into going blue because of the following rationale.

"If that bike still runs after so much abuse then its got to be the most durable". green to blue and Red to Blue. :banghead:

Of course I was only riding dual sport and I usually lugged the bike which may be directly oppisite of what this guy was doing. Is it a YZ that was raced at very high rpms?

I am not convinced the oil was the only reason for the failure, I find it hard to believe that everyone that buys these bikes follows the oil change schedule. I bet there was a defect in the bearing that failed permaturely because of the oil.

Just my two cents.

Not changing your oil for two months would not cause than unless he was riding it several hours every day and/or running some really cheap oil that didn't belong in there. Otherwise there was definitely an underlying problem that caused that. I change my oil every 4-6 rides, which could be over a span of two months. I recently had my cases split for a tranny repair and everything looked spic and span. Nothing had excessive wear, as a matter of fact, I was surprised to see how good it looked. I use synthetic though so I'm sure that helps.

In my opinion not changing the oil had nothing to do with that motor in question. Possibly the wrong oil used causing premature bearing failure, or the motor was ran with little to no oil? I'm not an engeneer or a professional mechanic but oil change duration just doesn't spark with me to assume the motor grenaded due to neglagence.

No it was the right oil. Amsoil 0w-40.

Yes the bike was raced about every weekend with practice on weekends. The bike found the rev limiter often when I was watching the owner ride.

Bottom end bearings are tough. But without lubrication, they are going to fail.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. In fact, I'm going to say it right now. Multigrade oils suffer from viscosity sheardown when used in transmissions. That, my friends is Truth. How much and how fast depends both on the oil used, and on the kind and quantity of riding done, but you can figure that in the best case, you will have significantly altered the oil's operating temperature viscosity (the higher number of the two) by the time you hit ten hours. If you are going to be forced not to change oil for more than that length of time, start using straight weight oils.

After two months, which for me would be about 20-25 hours, and might be a lot more for some people, that load of Amsoil was probably thrashed down to an 0w-10 weight, maybe less. How would that be able to handle a roller bearing connecting rod at 13 grand?

i have done a LOT of oil analysis on my 01yz250f. heck, i just sent test number 16 off on tuesday. what gray says is true, but his numbers are on the highly optimistic side from what my analysis have shown to be fact.

5 hours and 20w50 will be at the lower end of 40wt. if not a high 30wt.

at 10 hours it will be a 30wt at best. at best!!!

if you go over 10 hours on your oil, you are *NOT* doing your engine any favors.

there is a reason my motor has gone 4 years and 10 months without a problem.

i change my oil a LOT.

That is horrible. I am still trying to figure out why only 1 tooth on 3rd gear snapped and everything else in the entire engine looks fine.

so, two months no oil changes. Was the oil level ever checked during the two months? If not, the oil level was low in addition to breaking down, which was probably the main reason for the blown engine.