Sign in to follow this  

Buying A 2006 Ktm450sx. What Do Ya Think?

I race GPs and motocross in SoCal with a 2005 YZ250. The whole valve things scares me...

Anyway, I am thinking about getting a 2006 KTM 450sx, but I have not heard much about them. If you own and race one I would love to hear what you think of the 450sx. Also what problems you might of had, how do they handle, what you love about them, and dislike. Any tech trips on suspension and etc would also be helpfull!!

Thanks to all. :banghead:

I Have The 05 Ramon And It Is A Excellent Bike. I Race 250a Mx And Aa Harescrambles. I Haven't Had A Problem With The Bike Yet. It Handles Better Then The Yz250 And Yz450 That I Came Off Of. The Suspension Is Really Good Although The Ramon Has Pretty Much The Works Set Up In It. Just Make Sure That If You Do Get One To Loctite All Bolts That You Can. Ktm Is Netorious For Not Loctiting Bolts. If You Have Any Other Questions Feel Free To Ask.

Picked my 06 450 up last weekend and have previously owned 03 and 04 450sx. No problems with any of the bikes (apart from a broken clutch plate in the 03). Valve adjustment is a piece of cake (1hr max). Haven't had a chance to setup the new bike yet but am already considering putting the 16mm offset clamps from my 04 as I was having problems with the front end pushing (adjusted to 18mm for the time being). Motor feels strong and bike looks real good.

I race GPs and motocross in SoCal with a 2005 YZ250. The whole valve things scares me...

Anyway, I am thinking about getting a 2006 KTM 450sx, but I have not heard much about them. If you own and race one I would love to hear what you think of the 450sx. Also what problems you might of had, how do they handle, what you love about them, and dislike. Any tech trips on suspension and etc would also be helpfull!!

Thanks to all. :banghead:

my buddy just bought his last night, i bought one last week. i only have a couple of rides on it. the suspension needs revalving as it is a little harsh but overall the bike handles pretty well. make sure you go to someone who knows WP if you decide to do a revalve. All of the aftermarket parts that come stock is unbelievable. It is definetly the sexiest stock bike out there. the ramon edition is sweet and probably cheaper but still uses the stock suspension. i coming from a honda, used to the showas and havnt played around yet. If all the ktm needs is a revalve than its far and above any other bike.

The Ramon Suspension Is Better Then Stock, It Has A Titanium Shock Spring And Some Works Parts In The Forks. The Valving Is Differant Also.

The Ramon Suspension Is Better Then Stock, It Has A Titanium Shock Spring And Some Works Parts In The Forks. The Valving Is Differant Also.

thats funny, cause i heard that it was stock, my bad.............

Well I've heard the suspension on the 2007's will be radically different (twin chamber forks) (near ohlins design shock) this is from a guy with a "very reliable source" from within KTM's testing department. Don't know if it's for sure, but i wouldn't buy a 2006 since I heard this recently on KTM Talk.

Since my CRF was getting valves done last week I was able to ride one of the new Katooms. The motor makes my Honda seem like a 125. Pulls awesome and the powerband is broad. Handles good too. I am a Honda guy but I have been checking the 06' KTM 450SX out as a serious replacement. :banghead:

Well I've heard the suspension on the 2007's will be radically different (twin chamber forks) (near ohlins design shock) this is from a guy with a "very reliable source" from within KTM's testing department. Don't know if it's for sure, but i wouldn't buy a 2006 since I heard this recently on KTM Talk.

u can spend your life waiting and dreaming about the next model :banghead: , i'l just be out riding while your doin it! :banghead:

I miss my ktm. It had great power and easy to ride. if you think it is harsh in forks it is very sensitive to rear sag. Make sure you run the right spring for your weight. Very important. MX tech is the guy's to do the set up on suspension. If money is no objest OHLINS. I run them on my honda and now am spoiled. Honda stuff is great but for initial plushness to bottoming the ohlin is unmatched. If money is a big deal do not buy them. It is not a great investment as you could get another bike for 4000 bucks. just My humble opinion. oh yea high speed bumps it soaks up unbelievably!

Do not buy the Handling issues they claim KTM has. Ktm doesn't have enough money to compete in advertising dollars in magazines. Just ride one.enough said!

u can spend your life waiting and dreaming about the next model :banghead: , i'l just be out riding while your doin it! :banghead:

Not that I have money for an 06 anyway. But hearing what I said I would not buy a 2006. Twin chamber forks feel allot better IMO.