Sign in to follow this  

Enough is enough

So at what point do you finally take a step back and re-evaluate wheather riding is worth it or not?

In the last year and 3 months I have shattered the three bones in the middle of my right foot (had 5 pins, several screws and a plate installed).

Tore and ACL and MCL in the left knee that should have surgery.

Broke two toes on my right foot.

and now I broke my tibia and currently I am in a cast (broke it Sunday and just got casted Tuesday). No surgery :banghead:🤣

My question is, when do you give up and throw in the towel.

I have always gone back to riding and still want to ride simply because there is no greater sport or form of entertainment.

I am having trouble at this point because after thinking about it I have spent a combined total of 24 weeks in a year and three months on crutches...

Every time I get on my bike, I try to ride mellow and not push it, but it does not work. Seems about 15 minutes into riding a switch gets turned on and next thing I know I am pushing and the more I push and the faster I go, the harder I hit a corner, the bigger jump I find, the longer wheelie I pull off all translates to the more fun I have...

Is there a solution? When do you just hang it up and start thinking that being able to walk at age 40 is more important? :banghead:

Any thoughts?

Maybe switch to riding more double black diamond single track instead of MX tracks. And remember to cover the rear brake on your wheelies!

maybe its time to lay off the MX and ride woods or offroad :banghead:

that's precisely why I don't do any MX, gettin too old and have bills to pay. Hare Scrambles can be quite adrenaline packed.

maybe its time to lay off the MX and ride woods or offroad :banghead:

that's precisely why I don't do any MX, gettin too old and have bills to pay. Hare Scrambles can be quite adrenaline packed.

Couldn't agree more.....

Give MX a rest. :banghead:

You don't quit riding because you get old,

you get old because you quit riding.

Just curious...how old are you? MX is indeed a younger man's sport although I know there are many "vets" out there that kill the local tracks every weekend (God Bless'em). I think if it were me that was that injured...I'd lay off the MX, however hard it may be to do so. After racing for most of my young life and learning how to sleep with my shoulder in a demobilizer after dislocating it, or my knees being jacked-up (thank God for Vicaden :banghead: ), I gave it up at around 28. Now I enjoy soft...not so thrilling trail rides with the family. It is hard...real hard to not get out on the vet mx track though, but I don't bounce like I used to so I try to avoid mx if I can.

You need to look at were you are in life and what you have to lose if you get hurt. It is a hard choice to make, good luck. :banghead:

You need to look at were you are in life and what you have to lose if you get hurt. It is a hard choice to make, good luck. :banghead:

This is great advise to follow. Only you can make the right decision for yourself. I decided to call it a year because I have a 6 mth old at home and can't afford to be injured right now if I can help it. I know I'll be back at it next year, so I've told myself I'm just taking a little break to get all healed up. Bottom line is that if you feel you need a break, take it :banghead:

Dude maybe you just suck at riding?

Just kidding, try woods riding for a while and good luck with the healing.

Is there a solution? When do you just hang it up and start thinking that being able to walk at age 40 is more important? :banghead:

Any thoughts?

Look, just take it down a notch man. I have a muscle disease and have trouble doing a lot on a dirtbike. But I love riding, so I have had to adjust the way I ride. It's just something I've had to accept. The way I see it, if I can sit down in a chair I can ride. Even if all I do is go in a circle in the parking lot, I will be riding...and I will be on a Husky! \../

Turning 47 next month, separated my shoulder last year. I only play, no serious MX, mostly trail riding. Can't imagine not riding :banghead:

Every time I get on my bike, I try to ride mellow and not push it, but it does not work. Seems about 15 minutes into riding a switch gets turned on and next thing I know I am pushing and the more I push and the faster I go, the harder I hit a corner, the bigger jump I find, the longer wheelie I pull off all translates to the more fun I have...

Any thoughts?

The question is why are you getting hurt.

Maybe I have been lucky, but I have only cracked on rib and spraned and ankle a stretch some shoulder muscles in 30 years of riding and racing, then again maybe I have some sort of wus gene and a self preservation switch that stops me from doing crazy things.

I would take a long hard look at why you are getting hurt--taking chances? lack of skill? bad luck?

There was a great article in MXA (Jody's box) a long time agi about how much time he saved by rolling a double triple saying the second that he lost by not jumping actually saved him weeks but not laying around in plaster. I think about this every time I approach the face of a massive jump that is not a table top or start hammering through a bad whoop section.

first thing I would add, is know your limits. Riding is an unbelieveable rush, going faster, hitting a corner better, jumping further, its just plain fun. But I try, and usually with good results to stay within what I know I can pull off. Ive got a buddy thats just a hair faster than me, he crashes tons goign outside of his limits. Things happen though, and we all have to accept the possibility of injury. I had a few friends that stopped riding becuase they were always, and I mean always worried about getting hurt. Its not fun that way, its either fun, or you shouldnt be doing it.

I dont know about the woods thing, bouncing off a tree doesnt feel to friggin good either, its a tough decision, I hope I dont have to make it one day :banghead:

If you have to ask, then you're not ready to hang it up. :banghead:

Dude maybe you just suck at riding?

or you're riding over your head. or maybe you just had a string of bad luck. i ride around 5000 miles a year and i have yet to be hurt in 4-5 years of riding. now that i said that i'll probably get a compound fracture tomorrow in moab.

mw

Get a trials bike. It's some of the hardest, most challenging riding you will ever do and it's rather hard to get seriously hurt, except when you are practicing balance in your basement on it and break your arm falling over on a Dewalt radio and knock yourself out. :banghead: I get older but not smarter.

Dont listen to any of these people about quitting MX.

If Motocross is what you love...never quit. If you have more fun riding at a constant RPM through the woods or tight singletrack then it would be time to throw in the towel, but as a true Motocrosser I doubt you will have any fun doing that. Quit when you discover riding doesnt give you the same joy it once did...when you dont feel that sensation every time you throw your leg over a bike. You'll know when its time.

Get a trials bike. It's some of the hardest, most challenging riding you will ever do and it's rather hard to get seriously hurt, except when you are practicing balance in your basement on it and break your arm falling over on a Dewalt radio and knock yourself out. :banghead: I get older but not smarter.

HEHEHEHEHE...got a story for us Luz?

If you have more fun riding at a constant RPM through the woods or tight singletrack

who rides at a constant rpm through the woods? real woods riders haul booty. that's why woods bikes have more gears than mx bikes.

mw