Sign in to follow this  

loop idling !

i have a klx 400sr 2004, when in 1st gear no gas just idling ,it does not idle smoothly it kind of loop idles ,this makes it hard to go very slow in 1st gear .if i give it a little gas and keep it there at a little faster speed it seems to be ok ! also when driving and changing gears it does not seem to be a smooth transion !when i let of the gas to change gears it seems to go to to low an idle and does not make for a good transition from one gear change to another ,hope this makes sense ! any suggestion would really help PS; the bike only has 600 miles on it , i called the dealer and they said it sounds like it needs carb adjustments,i would like to do this myself if possible .the bike idles great in neutral.....thanks ....Dan627..

yes the bike is all stock , i will give it a try this weekend . thanks for the quick reply :banghead:. i will let you know how it goes ......

yes the bike is all stock , i will give it a try this weekend . thanks for the quick reply :banghead:. i will let you know how it goes ......

allready went out to take a look for the fuel screw , cant find it :banghead: . i looked for pics to help out but could not find any. i have ordered a repair manual for the bike but it wont be in for another 2 weeks , can anyone help ! are there any sites with pics on where to find the fuel screw ! 2004 klx 400sr... thanks🤣

thanks for the link, i hope to be riding smoother very soon . :banghead:

i feel like a moron :banghead: but my bike has a mikuni bsr36 carb and the carb on the site was not the same ! i have searched everywhere for a pic also went to the kawasaki site and entered my vin # and that did not work ! looked through old postings as well found one but it will not print and has the parts labeled by # but does not list what they are !!! any one know where i can get an exploded view that works and lists the parts and what they are ! thanks again ............Dan627.......

is the air mixture screw in this pic the same as a fuel screw ! if it is , this is a great pic and i have found it on the bike allready ,just need to confirm before drilling it out ! thanks for your patience guys...and do you think it is a good idea to install the extended fuel screw while im at it !

thanks once again , i hope to get to the job later this week , and i will keep you posted with the results. :banghead:

no problem at all.. i managed to get out the plug without removing the carb, and the screw was allready set at 3 turns out ! i put it to 3 1/2 but this did not seem to make a big difference ! should i be turning it out or in at this point! i ran out of time to experiment tonight .

somehow i thought you would say that ! thanks again for all the help, looks like rejetting is the way to go . just by looking through the forum it looks like most owners with a dr-z or a klx go that route anyways, there must be a good reason for it ! i will just follow some of the great instructions found on this forum on how to rejet. :banghead: