Sign in to follow this  

Wiring...HELP!!

Ok..maybe the title should be "Operator messed up wiring🤣 " but anyways....

Short Version w/question

Basically, I messed up my wiring harness pretty good (05 sm) and I need to replace the main harness and the secondary harness that runs to the starter. Cost from the dealer is over $250 from Suzuki for the parts!! :banghead: When I bought a used one for my R6 it cost me 15 bucks. I figured I'd try here first....Does anyone have or can get a harness cheaper (used/new...i don't really care as long as it works)? Also, will the harness for the "S" fit the "SM"?...as that would open the amount of used parts available. Thanks for the help. Story below for anyone who feels inclided to read it.

Long version

- When I installed my handguards (acerbis rally pro mounts) I pinched, ever so slightly, the wiring harness on the starter side of the handlebars. I ended up blowing the fuse and having to deal with that pesky smoking wiring harness issue because it had rubbed through. The first time it happened (at the track🤣 ) we traced it back and one of the wires appeared to have rubbed through on the headlight bracket (I had removed the headlight). We isolated and taped everything up and then ziptied the wires away from the brackets. The bike ran great the rest of the day. Didn't take it in figuring it was working fine, I would do trackday #2 two weeks later and then bring it in. Fast forward a week and a half...getting ready for day #2 and the harness starts smoking the garage. Didn't drive back to PA (which was good since the track flooded on Saturday anyway) and took the bike to the dealer. Didn't even think to look at the handguard mount because all of smoke/fire was coming from the birds nest cluster of the main harness. Well, the dealer ended up pulling everything off and finding it under the mount. It was little enough that you couldn't tell while it was mounted, but it was just enought to pinch through. I feel like an idiot, and that $250 was going towards exhaust/jet kit/etc over the winter :banghead: So make sure you triple check that your mounts aren't pinching the wires so you don't end up with your bike smoking at an inopportune time.

Not sure about the interchangability because I haven't been able to track down a fisch for the sm yet. I would tend to believe that they are the same though since they have all the same parts in all the same places.

Hmmm. OK what 10 guy said

You can rebuild you harness. Just wres.

How did you smoke a harness when there is a 15 amp fuse to blow?

From the alternator feed to loads (other than the battery) there is no fuse but no current with motor off. You can rewire the alternator to feed direct to the battery then all loads are fused (except alt to bat).

I would tend to believe that they are the same though since they have all the same parts in all the same places.

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure

Hmmm. OK what 10 guy said

You can rebuild you harness. Just wres.

How did you smoke a harness when there is a 15 amp fuse to blow?

From the alternator feed to loads (other than the battery) there is no fuse but no current with motor off. You can rewire the alternator to feed direct to the battery then all loads are fused (except alt to bat).

Not sure I understand what you're saying

only one fuse for the bike, 20 or 25 amp (can't remember off the top of my head). The fuse blew right off the bat, we put a new fuse in and pulled the wires out to find the problem. When I turned the key, it started smoking, but didn't blow the fuse. That's when we found and "fixed" it at the track. The second time, the bike was running and when I turned around there was smoke coming from the front end. I turned the bike off before the fuse went.

Don't know much more than the very basics when it comes to the electrical stuff, so I dont' know how it didn't blow after the first time

and how would I go about rebuilding it??

Not sure I understand what you're saying-----The S harness should be the same (or very close) as SM. Could be minor differences but S and SM have the same parts in the same locations as 10guy said. This is supposition as there is not much direct experience with this yet.

only one fuse for the bike, 20 or 25 amp (can't remember off the top of my head).------ an S has a 20 amp fuse so I would think it is the same.

The fuse blew right off the bat,------ Yes, as it is suppose to.

we put a new fuse in and pulled the wires out to find the problem. When I turned the key, it started smoking, but didn't blow the fuse. ------ Perhaps you put in a higher amp fuse. Either that or some how the fuse is bypassed.

That's when we found and "fixed" it at the track. The second time, the bike was running and when I turned around there was smoke coming from the front end.----- the alternator can feed 200 watts (about 15 amps) direct to loads with no fuse.

I turned the bike off before the fuse went.----Correct thing to do. If the alternator is feeding the current direct, the fuse would not blow since it is not conducting the current. Only battery current is fused.

Don't know much more than the very basics when it comes to the electrical stuff, so I don't know how it didn't blow after the first time------Several possibilities. A higher amp fuse was installed. The fuse holder or wires to/from the fuse holder are melted together and shorted internally creating a shunt so the fuse is not conducting all the current. Current (all or part) is being supplied by the alternator when the engine is running. Theoretically the battery can be removed from the bike and you can bump start and it will run. NOT RECOMMENDED.

and how would I go about rebuilding it??------Take the harness apart and replace damaged wires. Marine stores are a good source of materials. If it is really bad, this may not be a good option, but if just 1 or 2 wires, it is not too hard. Solder, heat shrink, terminals, connectors, split loom or sleeving, etc.

Neil: thanks for the link. The harnesses look the same (and cost the same:()

Noble: Sorry, I should have specified so you didn't break it down line by line. I didn't understand what you were saying with respect to the alternator. Thank you for the explanation. The correct fuse was put back in, I am sure of that. Unfortunately, because of the way the wires clump together....as soon as one got hot, everything that was touching it burned too, so there is damage to most of the wires, and pretty much the whole wire to the starter was burning inside the insulation.