Sign in to follow this  

'06 250X vs. '06 WR250F vs. '06 KTM 200xcw

Trying to make the call among the three bikes referenced in title. I started down the KTM 2t path, but have a son who will be moving into the MX "Lite" class in the not to distant future and I know he will end up on a 250f, so I began thinking about a thumper for myself (going to keep my KDX220 regardless). That way I can get used to the maintenance routine and he can ride it a bit even though neither the X or WR are MX bikes.

However, after reading the posts on the 250X I am frankly shocked at all the valve issues. I see some posts on the subject, but not a lot of actual experience re: the '06 - did Honda really make the needed changes to improve reliability and service life?

As it now stands, I plan to look seriously at the WR although reviews indicate that the Honda handling and power band are superior. WR also seems tall. I'm beginning to think that the small thumper's time really has not yet come.

Appreciate any insights you would care to share. Thanks.

My 250x is the best woods bike i've ever owned. bought in 3/04 and I ride 3-4 times/month year round. The valves are still in spec - well over 1000 miles. I do put a few ounces of premix in 5 gals of fuel tho and I run carb overflow tube filters. the only broken parts are crash related.

everything mechanical is more complicated nowadays.

I'm a former kdx220 owner and the x suspension is in a whole other league comparatively, the cg is similar and feels about the same weight-wise, power is a bit better with the x, even with one gear less. The x turns sharper. The 4 stroke hooks up better than the kdx believe it or not - everywhere. If you get the x, do the free mods - makes all the difference in the world.

You will probably end up selling the KDX.