Sign in to follow this  

Cut Down Seat- Excellent Results

I reshaped my seat on my crf450, 05, and have really noticed a big difference in my cornering. I followed the design that i got off the Honda forum, do a search. I ordered a seat from Motosport Outlet, SDG, because I didnt want to cut my stock seat for resale purposes. I used an electric fish fillet knife. Other people talked about using a electric turkey carving knife, but it doesnt matter as long as it cuts the foam. Its amazing that cutting about 1 1/2 to 2 inches off lowers your center of gravity. I felt like I could lean the bike over farther without fear of falling. By trimming on the front and middle of the seat it keeps my weight shifted forward. Even though I like to sit a lot, at least I am sitting much further forward toward the gas tank. Going into corners I am in the correct position. Huge difference. I ride strictly on MX tracks in the Houston, TX area and am 46 years old, so I need all the help I can get.

How tall a guy are ya?

Ive wanted a step seat mainly because of the shape of the seat. Seems like it slopes back to begin with a bit and staying up front right on the tank is tough...especially when youre a little older, fatter etc...and it makes such a dramatic difference in the way the bike turns when your over the front of it...but I get tired and slip back...

I am 5'11 185lbs. I always rode way too far back instead of up next to the gas tank. After i finished cutting the seat I fired up my back and rode around in my front yard. I was zigging and zagging around the trees so easily. Its amazing when you corner if the weight is towards the front.

Dad just cut my seat on my 06 CRF250R. He cut about 1''. I haven't rode it yet but I am racing tomorrow. I will keep you posted on how it does.

i have friends that cut their seats but it is for freestyle, and those seats are not comfy and flat. i guess that would help you stand up more in a race. but for freestyle it is for clearence and getting your feet over and back with out hanging up. it does give the bike a different feel though like was explained

mines trimmed cause im just to short i havent really noticed it actually riding bit now i can start my bike like in a race if i fall im only 5ft. 2in

I'm 6 feet and prefer a SDG Tall. Easier to stand up, sit up on the tank, and you're not all crammed up on the bike.

Agreed, makes it hell of alot easier to seat bounce also. But whatever works for you guys.

Agreed, makes it hell of alot easier to seat bounce also. But whatever works for you guys.

Thats my basic problem too. Im 6'1" and Id like a slightly taller seat, but Id like the edge to force me foward a bit too...I slide back exiting corners when Im tired... :banghead:

Thats my basic problem too. Im 6'1" and Id like a slightly taller seat, but Id like the edge to force me foward a bit too...I slide back exiting corners when Im tired... :banghead:

Yeah I know the feeling, but I am in training again for racing so i try not to wuss out and do that, but an edge would make it even sweeter but that would look so ugly on a tall seat

I never really gave a ratz arse what something looked like if it worked. As a matter of fact, I find it quite satisfying to go out and whoop somebody on something they just mocked because it was ugly or different.

Think about motorsports...fashion is normally a form of function.