Sign in to follow this  

Will This End In Disaster

undefined

I recently bought a Yoshimura ignitor for my 04 drz 400e, cheap and still boxed, Iwas told that I could run it with the stock cams although it would run better with the race cams, on opening the box, and reading the instructions, its states that to run the ignitor without the race cams may cause damage to the engine :banghead: HAVE I BEEN STUFFED?

undefined

I recently bought a Yoshimura ignitor for my 04 drz 400e, cheap and still boxed, Iwas told that I could run it with the stock cams although it would run better with the race cams, on opening the box, and reading the instructions, its states that to run the ignitor without the race cams may cause damage to the engine :banghead: HAVE I BEEN STUFFED?

The reason for the warning is that the Yosh box will allow the engine rev to 11000 rpm before the rev limiter kicks in. The stock boxes stop at 10000 rpm. They supplied ti hardware for the top of the valve springs to cut weight to get the valves to close quicker do to less mass. To make a long story short ... If you shift before you hit the rev limiter you will be ok. The question is can you shift at 10000 rpm by the sound of the engine. As a side note ... it is my understanding that the spark advance on the Yosh box is the same as the stock box. The only difference is the extra 1000 rpm the Yosh box provides.

Use megacycle r/d springs with ti tops or I think kibblewhite also makes a set of dual wound springs for the drz. I'm not a fan of the idea of using shims to increase the preload on the stock springs personally.