Sign in to follow this  

Rear caliper problem

I have purchased 2 import pit bikes and I am having issues with the rear calipers locking up. We have re-bled them, but are still having problems. Anyone experiencing anything similar or have an wisdom to pass on to us.

Love the forum.

Apparently if the seals around your caliper are bad they won't give enough tension to pull the pads back and your brakes will remain applied until something pushes the caliper out. Seems silly that you'd have to rebuild a brake system on a brand new bike, but you did mention they're imports, which to me means cheap chinese knockoffs :banghead:

I would take the caliper off and pop the pads out. Then pop the pucks out and take some brillow pad and scuff up the pucs, they may be corroded then grease the shi@ out of the seals. Make sure to wipe excess GREASE off so they dont get on ur pads and contaminate them. Causing them to not work properly again. Try that and let me no!!!!!!

There is brake specific grease you should be using when you do that. Holds up longer, doesn't react badly to brake fluid, etc.

Is your bike a Thumbstar?

Good question, you might have the same set up as the Thumpstar, if that's the case you'll need to do the mod.

If I remember right... you have to remove 1/4 inch of the rod that connects to the pedel.

Sorry, ya thumPstar, your bike may use the same rear brake assembly as the thumpstar and if so have the same problem. A friend has 2 Thumpstars and both rear brakes locked, the mod seemed to fix the problem.

Just want to clarify. Basically, what may be wrong is that the connection rod from the brake lever to the master cylinder needs to be shortened. Right?

Makes sense, I new it would be something simple like that.

Did not mean to say Thumpster. I must of had Thumpstar and Pitster on the brain.