Sign in to follow this  

No spark + more

Didn't touch my bike for a couple of weeks and tried to start her up. Starter turned but engine wasn't firing. Kept trying thinking it might be a bit flooded since I'd throttled and choked a bit but still no firing. The battery eventually went flat so I took it back to the house and charged it for a good 8 hours. Now when I put the battery back it the starter wouldn't spin. The starter relay was clicking but no reaction.

Next I tried shorting the starter relay and the starter kicked in again. Still no sign of firing up so I took the plug wire off (sorry about my lousy english - don't know what its called) and checked it while shorting the start relay. No spark in the cap. Is that right or do I have to take the whole plug out and check for a spark?

The strange thing is that the starter button only clicks the starter relay. I have to short the starter relay to get the starter running. Where do I start looking for faults? I've got a multimeter I can measure with.

I've looked at the threads about flywheel magnets but never seen that problem causing the starter relay to just click without turning the starter. Seems like there's a bad connection somewhere but I have no idea where.

Chris

Can you explaint to me, a non-electrical guru, how you short the starter relay and what that does?

My cousin was telling me he had no spark,a bike I had given him and he could not get it to start,he had the plug out and was kicking the bike but was not earthing the end

of the plug on the engine,kind of surprised me.I dont know how you can check for spark

without putting a plug in the plug wire,high tension lead,holding it on the engine and

hitting the button,might wont to use insulated players,they call it a high tension lead for a good reason.If it will spin at all it will be heaps easier with the plug out,buy a new plug.

Didn't touch my bike for a couple of weeks and tried to start her up. Starter turned but engine wasn't firing. Kept trying thinking it might be a bit flooded since I'd throttled and choked a bit but still no firing. The battery eventually went flat so I took it back to the house and charged it for a good 8 hours. Now when I put the battery back it the starter wouldn't spin. The starter relay was clicking but no reaction.

Next I tried shorting the starter relay and the starter kicked in again. Still no sign of firing up so I took the plug wire off (sorry about my lousy english - don't know what its called) and checked it while shorting the start relay. No spark in the cap. Is that right or do I have to take the whole plug out and check for a spark?

The strange thing is that the starter button only clicks the starter relay. I have to short the starter relay to get the starter running. Where do I start looking for faults? I've got a multimeter I can measure with.

I've looked at the threads about flywheel magnets but never seen that problem causing the starter relay to just click without turning the starter. Seems like there's a bad connection somewhere but I have no idea where.

Chris

It sounds like the problem I am having. According to Mike from Taskys, is a faulty/loose flywheel magnets. I'd removed the flywheel and the coil, and sent both to be inspected and or repaired.....will advise the results as soon as I get them back!!! :banghead:

Newer TE's have different ignition than our old single cam bikes, so may not be the same problem.

Norman

Lucky you!!!!!! :banghead: