New Guy

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone and so far I have enjoyed surfing this forum.

I am in the market for a motard and the Husqvarna 610SM appeals to me the most. My other option is the Suzuki DRZ400SM. Now I have never ridden off road so I know next to nothing about off road bikes. My question for all of you is which is the most reliable bike for a motard platform? Are parts hard to come buy for the Husky? How is the service record for the 610 powerplant?

I do know that just getting a Husky 610SM is frustrating. I've been in contact with Fletchers Cycles in Memphis about one and he is trying to get me one but no joy as of yet.

I'd love to hear your input on this topic.

Thanks

Rick

EDIT: If this thread needs to be moved to the Supermoto section then feel free to do so. I mainly posted this here to get the input from the Husky riders.

I have an 06 SM610 and it's a far better bike for the money than the DRZSM. Not that the DRZ is a bad bike, but the components on the husky are better quality. The 610 (actually 577cc) engine of the husky has superior power over the 400 and the 610 engine has been around for at least 5-6 years. The 06 does have some engine modifications that result in about 10 more hp than previous models however. As far as parts, you can get them from Dan at www.motoxotica.com I've waited longer for honda parts. If it exists, Dan can get it. He might even have it in stock.

As far as jetting, the husky has a FCR carb and it's pretty easy to work with if you know what you're doing. I've rejetted my 610 for the Leo Vince full system and it runs great with a JD red needle, 45 pilot and 180-185 main jet. Throttle response is crisp with no bog or sputter. I'm pretty happy with my 610 so I feel good about recommending it to others looking for a good street moto.

'06 will be the ninth model year for 610 electric start motor. It wasn't availible in US until '00 when TE610E and SM610S was first imported. It received upgrades that year and then again for '06. The motors are very reliable and built for street bike service. I've waited longer for Suzuki parts than Husky parts, so don't let that scare you

Norman

Thanks for your input gentleman. This is a tough decission to make. This thread has had 70 views but only two replies. It appears on the surface that Husky owners are steering clear of this subject. Certainly something I will consider when it comes time to lay down the money.

Thanks again for your input.

Ride on

Rick

i think it has had so many views but so little replies because most of us do not own a supermotard 610, and if you are like me.... you know almost nothing about supermotard. thats just my opinion on the low number of replies. welcome to thumpertalk though, i am sure whichever bike you choose will suit you just fine, have fun! :banghead:

Thanks for your input gentleman. This is a tough decission to make. This thread has had 70 views but only two replies. It appears on the surface that Husky owners are steering clear of this subject. Certainly something I will consider when it comes time to lay down the money.

Thanks again for your input.

Ride on

Rick

Tough decision? Between a freakin DRZ and the Husky? That's got to be the easiest decision in the world to make...get the Husky! But then again, if you're going to complain about getting only two replies, maybe you should get the DRZ.

It is true that the husky will require a little more attention than the DRZ, but the payback is a higher level of performance.

Tough decision? Between a freakin DRZ and the Husky? That's got to be the easiest decision in the world to make...get the Husky! But then again, if you're going to complain about getting only two replies, maybe you should get the DRZ.

It is true that the husky will require a little more attention than the DRZ, but the payback is a higher level of performance.

Educate me Dukepilot. Why would it be an easy decision? What's the pros and cons of the two bikes? What do you mean by "a little more attention"? I'm used to riding street bikes, change the oil, lube the chain, and ride the piss out of it until the next day.

I understand bigger motor = more power and no one can argue that the Husky is a dead sexy looking bike over the dated looking DRZ-SM. But if you could expand on your comments a little more I would appreciate that. Now I didn't mean to upset you. I know some people can take the internet a little to serious at times so be gentle on the FGN. But you have to admit, if you stood in a room with 100 Husky riders and asked them why you should ride thier bike and only a couple gave the nod you would rethink that purchase too. I want the Husky but I don't know anything about it. Like everyone, I don't want to buy a POS and regret it down the road. I don't know anyone that has that kind of money to throw around so here I am asking the guys that ride the bikes for thier input.

this is a dirt bike forum for the most part. 90 of those guys who read your post have never ridden a 'tard. I really doubt there are even 5 guys on here who have the bike you are talking about.

Why Husky over Suzuki?

Quality, performance, durability, aesthetic value...

Not to mention Husky is the worlds foremost motard racing team...not sure but i dont think the Suzuki tard is doing to well on the 'tard circuits.

But--if you need to be sold on the idea of getting a Husky--maybe it is better to get the Yellow bike. Riding a Husky is a passionate thing to do.

Its really different than going with a jap bike. You gotta want it.

Hello One2many,

I am also a new guy here on thumpertalk, been watching the Husky threads for a while- but this is my first post.

I use an electric start d/s husky to commute 20 miles each way to work,

(15 minutes in heavy city traffic +15 mins @7,5k on the freeway)

My Husky has done this tirelessly for 4 and a half years, and 16,000 miles.

A friend at work does a similar, but less high speed run on his d/s drz, and he has told me that his bike just wouldn't cope with this sort of use.

Also the feel of the 2 bikes is completely different, you would do well to try and have a half hour test ride on both bikes to see which "fits " your body better. But I can guarantee , neither will feel like a street bike.

The last thing that might seal the deal is price, the Huskys stateside are incredibly cheap compared to europe, but I don't know how the DRZ is priced in the U.S.,

I hope you enjoy your first dirt bike ,whatever you buy.

Charlie

this is a dirt bike forum for the most part. 90 of those guys who read your post have never ridden a 'tard. I really doubt there are even 5 guys on here who have the bike you are talking about.

I was under the impression that both of these bikes are based off of dirt bikes, that's why the post here.

Passion, yeah, that's what motorcycling is all about. :banghead: That's the sole reason I bought my SV1000S when it wasn't a very popular bike. Maybe I'm just overthinking this whole thing. I should just buy the bike and ride eh :banghead:

P.S. Buy the bike IF I can find the bike....

Hello One2many,

I am also a new guy here on thumpertalk, been watching the Husky threads for a while- but this is my first post.

I use an electric start d/s husky to commute 20 miles each way to work,

(15 minutes in heavy city traffic +15 mins @7,5k on the freeway)

My Husky has done this tirelessly for 4 and a half years, and 16,000 miles.

A friend at work does a similar, but less high speed run on his d/s drz, and he has told me that his bike just wouldn't cope with this sort of use.

Also the feel of the 2 bikes is completely different, you would do well to try and have a half hour test ride on both bikes to see which "fits " your body better. But I can guarantee , neither will feel like a street bike.

The last thing that might seal the deal is price, the Huskys stateside are incredibly cheap compared to europe, but I don't know how the DRZ is priced in the U.S.,

I hope you enjoy your first dirt bike ,whatever you buy.

Charlie

Thanks for the encouragement Charlie :banghead: The DRZ is a good $2000 cheaper than the Husky. And I won't even depress you with how much cheaper our fuel and insurance is than yours :banghead:

Ride on

Rick

Educate me Dukepilot. Why would it be an easy decision? What's the pros and cons of the two bikes? What do you mean by "a little more attention"? I'm used to riding street bikes, change the oil, lube the chain, and ride the piss out of it until the next day.

I understand bigger motor = more power and no one can argue that the Husky is a dead sexy looking bike over the dated looking DRZ-SM. But if you could expand on your comments a little more I would appreciate that. Now I didn't mean to upset you. I know some people can take the internet a little to serious at times so be gentle on the FGN. But you have to admit, if you stood in a room with 100 Husky riders and asked them why you should ride thier bike and only a couple gave the nod you would rethink that purchase too. I want the Husky but I don't know anything about it. Like everyone, I don't want to buy a POS and regret it down the road. I don't know anyone that has that kind of money to throw around so here I am asking the guys that ride the bikes for thier input.

I'm not upset, just being a wiseguy. Ride what makes you happy. Comparison wise, the components on the husky are higher quality than the DRZ. The husky frame for example, is made of chrome moly steel. The DRZ frame is made of heavier, less expensive mild steel. The husky engine while not only bigger, has significantly more power and grunt than the DRZ. The DRZ puts out only around 34-35 hp stock. Advertised hp for the husky is around 54hp, more with a pipe. You could pump 2k into a DRZ and it still wouldn't be as nice as a husky. Frequent oil changes and valve clearance checks will help ensure good engine life with the husky. You could probably get by with a less rigorous maintenance schedule with the DRZ. Tire life would also be longer on the DRZ due to less power. These are just some of the differences. Life with a euro bike generally means more owner involvement and those looking for a low maintenance bike might consider a japanese bike instead. Honda, Kaw, Suz, and Yamaha all make great bikes.

I'm not upset, just being a wiseguy. Ride what makes you happy. Comparison wise, the components on the husky are higher quality than the DRZ. The husky frame for example, is made of chrome moly steel. The DRZ frame is made of heavier, less expensive mild steel. The husky engine while not only bigger, has significantly more power and grunt than the DRZ. The DRZ puts out only around 34-35 hp stock. Advertised hp for the husky is around 54hp, more with a pipe. You could pump 2k into a DRZ and it still wouldn't be as nice as a husky. Frequent oil changes and valve clearance checks will help ensure good engine life with the husky. You could probably get by with a less rigorous maintenance schedule with the DRZ. Tire life would also be longer on the DRZ due to less power. These are just some of the differences. Life with a euro bike generally means more owner involvement and those looking for a low maintenance bike might consider a japanese bike instead. Honda, Kaw, Suz, and Yamaha all make great bikes.

Thanks man, that's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. I read alot of your posts on Speedzilla and saw your Dyno graphs with the LoeVince pipe and the power is impressive on the Husky. I can change the oil no problem, I've never checked vavle clearance on anything but I'm not a total meat puppet so I can learn.

Passion was mentioned earlier about motorcycles. We all have it or we wouldn't be here. I'm still trying to get a roof back on my house after Katrina really tore my crap up. Yet here I am stressing over what bike to buy instead. I guess I got it bad too.

So I've made my decission and will bide my time till the Husky gets here. I'm told the boats in the water but the waiting really sucks. It makes you second guess yourself which truth be told is probably the reason I posted this thread up in the first place. Besides, anyone can walk into thier local Suzuki dealer and find a DRZ-SM sitting on the showroom floor and buy it right then. Something you have to wait for, must be worth the wait.... :banghead:

welcome to Thumpertalk. You seem to be an experienced motorcyclist, but at least with that second post about number of views vs. no of replies you clearly showed you are a TT newbie. Look around the site you will see the ratio of number of views vs replies is all over the map, many many valued thoughtful posts and questions get only 1 or 2 replies and 100s of views.

next, if you haven't allready go visit the DRZ forum. The DRZ forum is the most used, ..... well it the Biggest and best forum here....Tons of questions are asked each day, with buckets of replies. the DRZ forum holds the running record for posts and replies in the whole of TT. great forum , great guys. They know everything about a great reliable and very modifyable bike the DRZ 400 and all its versions.

They will be very pro DRZ supermotard. They should be respectful of the Husky too, if some of them dog the husky, tell em bigbob knows better. I owned a DR-Z400S and was in that forum for 18 months. I passed 3000 posts while being a DRZ owner.

when I left the DRZ world for the husky, drz people were kinda supportive, but wondered about the mechanics side of it. I have 2000 miles of rough dirt riding on my TE-510, the bike is a tremendous upgrade from the DRZ and is very reliable. Yes The Husky is a performance race bike and as expected I've had to ovecome some small minor issues. I have one right now my clucth has a problem. I'll get the part and fix it. I had a front wheel bearing go out. I got the part and fixed it. I will never go back to the DRZ, never. That bike is a first year bike only and a great bike for those who love it and stay with it, but once you graduate to the big boys bikes, you never go back.

Think of this, the top two techical guys ( in total post count) here in all of TT are in the DRZ forum, Burned with more then 10,000 helpful posts and Bronco78, they are both DRZ high priests........but they have MODIFIED the bejesus out of their bikes. that's why the DRZ forum is so thick with posts and replies. Its all about modifications, aftermarket stuff to make that stock underpowered, lower quality mass marketed, mass produced cookie cutter low cost DRZ into something more then it is.

Husqvarna on the other hand is top quality parts and components stock. The bars are the best example of this; DRZ stock bars will bend on your first crash ( although a motard street rider does not crash like we dirt guys too) still the Husky stock bars are the strongest bars out there , they are so thick we have to drill them out to install our hand guards.

The husky forum is small as there are few husky owners, not because the bikes are poor, but because .....well a lot of reasons........Husky has never been a mass marketer of bikes. Huskys are choice bikes made for the choice riders.

Hi One2Many

I just spent half an hour on a reply that just disappeared- oh well here goes again.. Ive got some input on this subjest. I am a DRZ400-E owner for the last few years. My experience is that they are great bikes. Strong point is the "bullet proof engine" (buy a manual camchain tensioner) that makes reasonable power, weak point is the weight ("bullet proof" components=more weight), and the mediocre chassis- which can be improved by throwing money at it. The reason I´m here at the Husky forum is that I´ve come to a point with the DRZ where the chassis limitations are slowing me up and I dont want to spend a whole lot of time and experimental chassis tuning money. I had a ride the other day with a guy who has just bought a Husky TE450. We rode across a long whoops track and he, as a relatively unexperienced rider cruised past as I was grimly trying to hang in there. We swapped bikes and rode the whoops back the other way- wow night and day , you could open the Husky up and bang bang bang bang across the whoops without a care - really stable, and this bike is not even set up yet regarding compression and rebound and its not even broken in!! To cut my long story short , I am going to buy a 2006 TE250 for its light weight, start button AND kicker, good handling out of the box. One thing is for sure though I still love the DRZ, its a great all round bike. By the way the power difference between the DRZ and the 610 Husky will make a difference.

Though my Husky motard (yes I will get one :banghead: ) won't see any whoops I do appreciate the edumacation on the two bikes. Who knows though, this could lead to an off road bike. I have two atv's and my eight year old girl has an XR-50 and a new CRF-70F so pappa might need a dirt bike too. First things first and will be making a call to the Husky dealer in Memphis tomarrow.

Wish me luck but I have a sinking feeling it will be a case of hurry up and wait.

Bigbob, thanks for setting me straight :banghead:

have faith, most husky dealers will move heaven and earth, (translated: call Husky usa every few days) to track your ordered bike. go to a known Husky dealer, get someone to confirm they are good, then put $500 down and watch the husky team go to work for you to get your bike. My dealer and I thought 4-5 weeks. I had my bike in 3 weeks.

Now is the time to lay the money down for the 2006 line. Come spring it's harder to get bikes and come april/ may even tougher so i have been told. I got mine Feb 1 last year.

I have seen that SM610 in person at motoXotica. that bike is WICKED. so worth the wait. haha and you were thinking of a DRZ 400 SM? that blue thing is like the bugs bunny bike up against the Husky Darth Vader emperial attack bike.