Sign in to follow this  

won't run!!!

ok, I have a 2005 crf250x, the california model, completely stock, and the thing won't idle! when I start it, with the choke on, it doesn't hold it's rpm, sometimes it sounds like it's at about 2000, with the choke on! when I take the choke off, it just dies. and that's having the choke on for a good period of time to ride it, I have to keep the throttle open as I shut off the choke, then take off, but it annoys me that it just won't idle. any help please?! :banghead::banghead:

When i first bought my 05' X it wouldnt run at all, so we had to turn up the idle quite a bit to even get it to run. THen after it got broken in the idle was to high,so i had to turn it down again. But thats what my problem was.

my bike had a similar problem ( it would only idle for about 20 sec.). I pulled the carb off took the top and bottom of and ran a can of carb cleaner through it. My problem was gone. My problem started after i pulled my airbox off to cut the top off. I let a little piece of something get into my carb.

Are problems were not identical but something to think about. :banghead:

change your jetting,here's a suggestion for this.

158 main jet

42 pilot jet

ncys-4 clip needle

2 turns air screw

try draining your carb. there is a plug at the bottom of it you just unscrew.. turn your gas off tho before you take the nut out.

air filter's clean, hasn't been oiled because it hasn't gotten dirty. drained the carb twice, still doesn't want to idle. and that clicking sound it makes as it dies, which I believe is normal, it does for a while before it dies. makes me mad cause it's the first bike I've purchased. maybe not enough open riding? only really ridden it on a track.

haven't tried that yet, I'll try today. I've heard that these hi performance hondas come from the factory jetted way too lean. people have recommended a #42 pilot (stock 40), a 135 main (stock 130) and moving the needle clip to the 4th position (stock 2nd I think). will that do anything? or could I just move the pilot screw to let more fuel in?

alright, it finally works. 1) the pilot jet was dirty, about half the size it usually is and 2) the pilot jet was WAY too small. I put a 45 in there and now I can kick it once, even when it's cold, and it starts first time.

its jetting the last reply is a good start get one up and one down each keep trying it will stop stalling