Sign in to follow this  

wr250f

From what I've read the suspension is far better for 06' than previous years. It's sprung alot better and even though it sits .4" taller than the 450 feels like it's lower. Lower center of gravity for better trail manners. The motor is fuzzy on the bottom end(weak per se) in stock form with a decent midrange (some said theres a gurgle in there) and a topend that will zing to the moon. After a few uncorking mods the low end/midrange vastly improve. Good reliability if maintained properly. The seat ergo's have changed and you can now have a more forward stance(get over the bars better). It's got the electric leg and a nifty digital odo/speedo to boot.

right now i have a CRF150F. i was looking at a CRF250R but the guy at my moms suzuki shop sold it. and i really dont want a suzuki. but the owner has a WRW250 that i would kinda be intereted in. it looks like a good bike, but idk what they are like, ive never ridden a yamaha 4stroke. i am a 14 yo turning 15 in like 2 weeks. i weigh just about 150 and i am like 5'6, 5'7. the problem is this is something i have to pay for, and i should start thinking about a car soon. he wantse like 3300 for it, and i might be able to get liek 1500 for mine, maybe 2000 if i sell it to some idiot. lol.

The other guys responded well to the suspension. Not sure what year you are talking about but from my standpoint (own a 05 WR250F) regarding power:

-the bike come with the POTENTIAL to have tons of power. However, you have to make some free modifications (mostly easy) to get ahold of the power available.

1/ cut the gray wire (details available on this site)

2/ remove the baffle from the exhaust

3/ cut out the air box and put vents in ($8) to provide more air to the air filter.

4/ replace the air filter ($15-25 depending on the kind you want) with a better one (I have a Twin Air).

5/LAST and MOST IMPORTANT: cut the throttle stop down so you can actually use all of your throttle. Yamaha puts a big throttle stop on the bike for some reason, have to get that off asap.

If you only want to do free things, adjust the throttle stop, cut the gray wire, and remove the baffle. This will increase performance and power.

right now i have a CRF150F. i was looking at a CRF250R but the guy at my moms suzuki shop sold it. and i really dont want a suzuki. but the owner has a WRW250 that i would kinda be intereted in. it looks like a good bike, but idk what they are like, ive never ridden a yamaha 4stroke. i am a 14 yo turning 15 in like 2 weeks. i weigh just about 150 and i am like 5'6, 5'7. the problem is this is something i have to pay for, and i should start thinking about a car soon. he wantse like 3300 for it, and i might be able to get liek 1500 for mine, maybe 2000 if i sell it to some idiot. lol.

The WR can perform very well in the woods. Remember the WR weighs 250+ with fuel, the YZF about 20 lbs lighter. It doesn't seem like much but when you grab the rear of the bike to move it, you definitely notice it. You may want to look for a YZF or just deweight the WR. The WR will make a good step up from the 150F and it is 5 valve so less chance of valve issues. Just check it out good.

The WR can perform very well in the woods. Remember the WR weighs 250+ with fuel, the YZF about 20 lbs lighter. It doesn't seem like much but when you grab the rear of the bike to move it, you definitely notice it. You may want to look for a YZF or just deweight the WR. The WR will make a good step up from the 150F and it is 5 valve so less chance of valve issues. Just check it out good.

last time i checked more valves= more possibilities for problems.....i've heard the schpiel on why 5 is better than 4 valves but its too complicated to me

last time i checked more valves= more possibilities for problems.....i've heard the schpiel on why 5 is better than 4 valves but its too complicated to me

the 4 valve design has to work harder to get the performance out of the engine. The lobes are larger and valve movement is more extreme, in other words, the valves and springs go thru more motion, creating more problems. The 5 valve design helps this problem. The valves do not have to work as hard or open as far as the 4 valve design. Overall, if you really look around this site, you will see that Yamaha has very little problems with the valves. Think about it, the engine is just more efficient at moving air. Maybe someone can answer this better but hope it helps.

the 4 valve design has to work harder to get the performance out of the engine. The lobes are larger and valve movement is more extreme, in other words, the valves and springs go thru more motion, creating more problems. The 5 valve design helps this problem. The valves do not have to work as hard or open as far as the 4 valve design. Overall, if you really look around this site, you will see that Yamaha has very little problems with the valves. Think about it, the engine is just more efficient at moving air. Maybe someone can answer this better but hope it helps.

if this works so good, think anyone will come out with a super reliable 6 valve engine?

Do you have to cut the throttle stop? or can you just take it out. and what is the point of yamaha putting it in there? wont the rev limiter stop the bike from revving to high?

if this works so good, think anyone will come out with a super reliable 6 valve engine?

It's possible, but probably overkill.

The best thing to do with the throttle stop is to replace it with one from a YZF. That way you know it is the right length. Otherwise you will only have half throttle.