Sign in to follow this  

mud race set up

It has been raining off and on here for the past week and this weekend is the last hare scramble. Probably going to be a muddy race and I was wondering what you guys do to prepare for a mud race?

Run your suspension a bit stiffer, it will collect alot of mud (weight) through out the race. Have some sort of tear off system for your goggles. Fresh tires and full sindered brake pads.

wouldn't hurt to have an extra pair of goggles with tearoffs near the trail for when you run out of tearoffs on the first pair. It only takes one rock or limb to take out an eye.

if you've got some coarse open cell foam pack that into all the nooks and crannies around your engine. less mud build up.

spray your plastic down with wd-40 or pam cooking spray right before heading to the line. less mud build up with this too

some people like solid rotors in mud races... i never felt a difference with them, but they are supposed to keep your brakes from fading and wearing out in the mud. if you don't have them already, don't worry about it though.

stick a dish towel in your belt... it will sit in your lap for the most part while riding and you can reach down and wipe your goggles off or use it too clean your grips if needed.

duct tape an old goggle lens to the front of your helmet visor, it will help keep roost out of your face and off your goggles.

^^ditto. I also like to run roll-offs on my goggles. Lower your tire pressure. Put foam around the engine, that helps a lot. Being mentally prepared is the key, just remember it's a long race and the fastest person doesn't always win. Try to keep it on 2 wheels and keep a steady pace. :banghead:

These are some of the tips from the SERA website! :banghead:

You've come up on a huge mud hole, ruts going into the water, ruts leading out of the water, which line will you take? You have no idea how deep the hole is, the wrong move could bury you. Go left. Why left? Because most people are right handed, which means when faced when a decision of direction, most of us will go right. (Look at the floor plan of your grocery store!) More times than any, taking a far left line will prove to be the best and easiest way through the muck! See you on the trail.

Remember that "Still waters run deep?", So the next time you have to cross a stream or river, look for a line across over the ripples in the water. This will be the shallowest crossing. Also, if it's a race and there are spectators in the water, cross where they are standing, they'll move! They simply found the shallow line before you did! See you on the trail.

So you've got your "roll offs" loaded with fresh film an your ready for that sure to be muddy hare scramble next Sunday. But what about the top of your helmet? Run some strips of clear packing tape from the peak of your visor to the to of your helmet. Presto... no more cone head look! See you on the trail.

Want some extra gripping power over your bike for more control? Put a strip of grip tape on each side of your frame. (Where your boots rub). If it works for Carmichael...see you on the trail!

Mud races require some special preparation for your bike, aside from the usual hand guards, and lower tire psi. buy a block or two of skid plate foam and stuff it anyplace that will collect mud. Also spraying "Pam" cooking spray under the fenders and frame rails works well. With heavy mud, I like to run a couple of strips of duct tape under each fender. Leaving a "pull tab" so that after the fenders are totally packed with mud, my pit crew (wife & daughter), can pull the "tab", which rips the tape off the fender, taking pounds of mud with it. See you on the trail.

There ya go!! Hope that helps!! :banghead:

Now go ride that mud!!!!!🤣🤣🤣

i heard the pros use stockings on their radiators to keep the mud from going in the nooks and crannies and yet still keep air flowing

the only mud setup tip that really matters is that you MUST ride a 4-stroke.

🤣

there you go again, stirring the pot. :banghead::banghead:

cut some pantyhose and take of your rad gaurds off. Put the pantyhose over the gaurds and put them back on. Mud will fall off and not just stuck in the tiny rad fins. Your bike will stay cooler.

Also make sure to buy some engine ice and replace your coolant.

it would be good if you had soft/mud tires.

Get some full waffle or even better, spider grips. They are great and they are good when wet. Buy an ovedr jersey jacket from fox (those are great).

Thats all i can think of that wan't said already!

the only mud setup tip that really matters is that you MUST ride a 2-stroke.

:banghead:

Good tip. :banghead: two strokes rev faster, and will therefore spin the tire sooner in a situation where the tires are loaded up and need to be "cleaned out" I'm actually faster in mud on a four stroke, because I'm never worried about seizing the engine, so I don't have to let off the throttle.