Sign in to follow this  

polished aluminum frame

Has anyone polished their crf frame so it is almost looks like a mirror. I seen one at the track a while ago, but didn't get a chance to ask them how they did it. How is it done?

cough dealer cough, ask him

:banghead:🤣🤣

Find a good Aluminum polish, like WaxShop VIP metal Polish, or Mother's Billet polish. It takes some elbow grease (preferably Moly :banghead: ) and time. Don't just get some chrome polish, it's not good on aluminum.

Liquor

• Like 1

get some polish paste and a rag and start rubbing the frame.... make it easier by getting small orbital sander and put a cloth polishing attachment on it.

One polished frame - it's in the Garage section under 250X

it's from member dennit1

The link:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vid=695

I had PM'd him regarding the polishing technique and his reply was:

First be prepared to use lots of elbow grease. The upper part of the frame(by the tank) only requires using Mother's polish. The lower part(by your feet) requires sanding it smooth first, i think i started with 100 grit, then 220, then 400 and finally used Mothers polish. I also did the swing arm but I would not recommend doing that because you have to sand the clear coat off. I did it and lots of people like it but like all polished surfaces you have to keep it polished or it looks bad quickly.

good luck and enjoy

like this....(this pic is kinda dirty actually)

http://photobucket.com/albums/v60/squidward731/?action=view&current=2005-04-05005.jpg

heres another pic when it was really polished...but the pic itself kinda sucks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/squidward731/DSCF0005.jpg

I power sanded the lower rough casting down smooth along with the top section which didnt take much effort. I went to 400 grit. Then I used a high speed buffer and some mothers polish. I did very little hand sanding....just a few weird curves that I couldnt get at with power tools. I think I took my radiators off to get more room just so I couldnt damage them. Now when mine gets dirty I take my gas tank/shrouds off (same time I do a valve check usually) and quick hit it with the power buffer. Theres no way I'd have a polished frame unless you have a good buffer and good way to iniitally sand it.

Go to lowes or wallmart get a can of BRASSO metal polish, its fast!, and get a small cotton buffing wheel for your drill, Use the paste and the wheel to cut, and use a cut up towel to hand buff, its easy! I gave mine a quick once over and could have gotten allot more shine with a little more time. Post some before -after picks that would be cool.

if you want it to look like the pro's , you can take your bike apart to the frame and then first wash it with degreaser and some kind of soap like mr clean. get it as spotless as you can, then starting with a red scotch bright pad and warm water rub the entire frame until you have it smooth and clean ( this uaualy takes as long as you can go and end up with arm pump ) then when you have it as good as you can , switch over and start using a brillo pad keeping it wet all the time. again this will take some time.as you keep rubbing you will start to see the frame start to shine. if you don't wanna take your bike apart you can do most of the frame while you are washing the bike. remember the more you rub the better it will look.

Take a Scotch-brite pad and scratch the frame up. Then take some Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish and rub in until it look black. Then wipe off and it will be a mirror. Repeat those steps.

dood....it's a dirt bike, it's not supposed to be shiny :banghead:

my thoughts exactly !!!! :banghead:

ive been using a scotch brite pad on my frame while washing my bike and it's already getting to shiney for me.

here's my take, does it look good? Yes, but it requires alot of work and not to mention maintance. It is a dirt bike so why? If I have free time I will ride, I do not really have time to spare to drool over the crome on the bike. Sorry....I barley wash my bike correctly after each ride, many times if it is only dusty and I am riding the next day i will not even wash it.

I polished my 02 and after I was done I told myself I will never do that again.It is a maintenance nightmare,looks awsome after 1 hour of polishing after every ride though.I used 220 sand paper than the mother's mag and aluminum polish,had a mirror finish on the frame & swingarm but like I said it's alot of work for a dirtbike to keep it looking good.If I were you,I would have the frame powder coated black,that looks awsome.