Is it wise to own both a KTM and a Husky in the same garage?

I sometimes think about buying a second bike. Having two dirt bikes keeps em both in good shape longer, but hey if you maintain your bike that is not really a good reason to own two. and I dont want a 2 stroke..............so if i did buy a second bike it would be an E start thumper. I can't seem to get over the shock of having an orange KTM share garage space with my Blue N Gold Loved Wolf TE-510 am I weird?

there are only like three possible combos I can imagine, note my TE-510 is allready street legal.

TE-510, KTM 400exc

TE-510, KTM 450 XC

TE-510, Husaberg FE450

TE-510,.............? no on 450x and no on WRF450.

so really other then getting a Husaberg from my fav dealer motoxotica.........it's most likely my second bike would be a KTM.....but that kinda bothers me in some way..........

My vote. #1 Husaberg #2 Sherco 4.5

Both beautiful and exotic. And both yellow and blue so you save on not having to buy different riding gear. Tell the wife you saved hundreds of dollars that way. She'll appreciate that. :banghead:

When my 95 WXE 610 died, I went to a new 03 WR 450f because of parts availability and parts cost, and the e start on the WR. Then, last month a picked up a 01 TE 570. My excuse was I needed a second bike to ship back to WA State, my old home state where my biking buds are. So, I'll get it up there and have a bike at home and "back home" in WA for when I travel up there.

Now, when I see em both in the garage, though, it's hard to send one away to visit just a few times a year! It's also a new experience to have a choice--take out the 570 when its time for some speed or the need for a real stable bike, take out the WR when I want e start and expect to be on tighter stuff.

i have 2 ktms, a yamaha, 2 kawis and a suzuki in my garage. they all seem to get along fine. they don't bother the sears lawnmower either.

otoh, it's nice to have 2 ktms (my serious dirtbikes) instead of mismatched bikes because so much stuff is interchangeable, even from 02 to 04, exc to sx. i can steal wheels, pegs, clutch parts, levers brake pads etcetera from one bike if i need to.

if i still lived in the donkey-free environs of norcal, i'd be likely to get me one of them new husky street-legal bikes with a plate. like a 450 (in your case) or a 510 in my case, since i already have lighter smaller bikes and could use the big hammer for dez.

mw

we've got a KTM parked beside the Huskys, and just recently got rid of a 02 FX470e Berg

Its nice to have choices. :banghead:

I kind of wish I had kept the Husaberg, but I got a really good deal on an 05 TC250 and simply do not have the room for 5 dirt bikes in the garage

go for it. The 06 KTMs look pretty damn sharp now with the black rims, and new graphics. :banghead:

I have a plated KTM 250 EXC 2 stroke and am considering getting a Husky 450 with a plate. A 2 stroke/4 stroke garage would be killer.

You mentioned you don't want a 2 stroke, but that's what I would do. Why get another thumper when you already have a killer one?

Have you ridden a modern woods 2 stroke lately? They are amazing.

If I do get the 450, I will be considering selling the 250 and getting a 200, since I'll have the 450 for more open stuff, I may as well go for the zippy 200.

If I don't get the 450, I'll just keep the 250 since its a great all around woods bike. -Ed

I sometimes think about buying a second bike. Having two dirt bikes keeps em both in good shape longer, but hey if you maintain your bike that is not really a good reason to own two. and I dont want a 2 stroke..............so if i did buy a second bike it would be an E start thumper. I can't seem to get over the shock of having an orange KTM share garage space with my Blue N Gold Loved Wolf TE-510 am I weird?

there are only like three possible combos I can imagine, note my TE-510 is allready street legal.

TE-510, KTM 400exc

TE-510, KTM 450 XC

TE-510, Husaberg FE450

TE-510,.............? no on 450x and no on WRF450.

so really other then getting a Husaberg from my fav dealer motoxotica.........it's most likely my second bike would be a KTM.....but that kinda bothers me in some way..........

The 'berg would be a good choice, either 450 or 550. The Sherco would be sweet, reviews of the motor are quite impressive. You could get a TM, they are beautiful to look and at, and they are fun to ride. What a dilema you have, you poor guy.

You already have an estart 4T, why not consider a wr125, or an sxf250 for the days when you want a lightweight?

I own 2st 200 EXC and a TC450.

ktm owns the world of out-of-the-box offroad racing 2-strokes, and it's unlikely I will switch brands for 2-stroke racing machines.

for 4-strokes, husky and ktm are my considerations. it would make more sense for me to buy the ktm because so many parts are interchangeable as mark commented above. however, of all the 4-strokes I've rode I prefer the power and handling of the husky (and the price point I bought my 450 at was nothing to complain about :banghead:).

so I imagine I will have a ktm/husky combo for the ongoing future.

and as ed stated, why buy another 4-st to keep you lazy, be a man and buy a 2-stroke :banghead:

2 strokes........I do like the KTM 250........ maybe when I see the new husky wr 250 in person, I'll go that way. but I rode an 02 husky 2 stroke and it felt like a noraml every day 2 stroke didnt get me too excited.

the only 2 stroke I rode that I liked was a woods set up yz 250. But I have never rode a KTM 250 only a 300. the 300 was ok...but that short ride on that yz 250 left an impression.

Mike lafferty is winning on his 400 exc and our off road forum guru Dwight is all about Thumpers.

I think the 2 stroke woods/enduro thing is all about lightweight and of the kick start bikes the 2 strokes start easy......I dont see that the basic 2 stroke powerband has any real advanyage over a thumper off road or enduro.....but I am a newbie 2 stroker.

but when i work enduros and 50% of the front riders are on KTM 2 strokes that says something.......I do like the smooth sound of that ktm 250 when the guys have ran thru my check point

I spent some time spectating at our National Championship,4 day,it was obverse by eye the 2strokes were faster in the tight bush specials,explosive power to get over logs,but on the grass track specials the big 4stokes looked faster,overall the Meryman{sp}won on a blue 4stroke,It would be interested in the stopwatch times to compare stats over the 300 rides and look at 2 verses 4.

I would get a 2 stroke......well I already have one. But you will be surprised by how much a 2 stroke is different in a good way. I had the 400 EXC and got the 04 WR 250 from Dan. It was fun to change bikes and styles. Now I am going to get another 4 stroke in spring to keep with my 2 stroke so I can switch abck and forth. Anyway these bikes today are just like Horses...they like to be with other horses. Time to go feed the horses in the barn so I can ride them tomm.

Bob,

We'll still like you if you buy a KTM.... 450XC, short stroke, close ratio box? You might as well buy a TE450 instead. I'd vote 400EXC if you have to go Orange. I think you should give a WR250 another try, I think it's better than KTM 250EXC. Husaberg.... at least it's yellow and blue. I get to ride an '06 TE450 tomorrow, I'll give you a report.

Norman

BigBob,

If you want two bikes buy a TC250 as your second and then you'd have the best of both worlds (Big Bore and Short Stroke) and still have a garage full of Blew and yellow.

huskyRips

Hey Bob

I need to get you out on my 04 WR 250. It has a ProCircuit Pipe and silencer and 44mm fork springs (Stock is 42mm) - I think you would be impressed with the power and handling. After riding this bike you may want to buy an 06 WR 250 from Dan.

yeah, when my 12 year old dog goes one day....then I probably will get an adventure bike....... for now I just don't like the idea of long day rides.......riding off with him alone at home on the weekends after he waits so patiently during the work week for our typical dirt bike weekend that involves taking him to the woods , letting him romp some while I get geared up, then I take 2-3 hour loops then i come back to have lunch and let him run amonst the trees again and the other riders at camp.

a big touring bike like a BMW or a 950 is for a guy who can just go all day for along ways....thats not me these days, one day maybe.

I'm with Huskyrips,

You have the big offroad bike, get something different like a 250 TC or TE. Similar feel as your bike (being a Husky) but rides and handles quite a bit different. It will make you a stronger rider.

I did the same with an 04 TE250 and the 05 TE450 then sold the TE250 for a 04 Cr125 and will likely sell the 05 TE450 for an 06 TE510, then best of both worlds. Super light, with good power and great handling and mega power with great handling but can handle longer trips and rides. The only fine tuning I would consider would be to trade the CR125 for a 05/06 TC250 as I love the Husky fourstroke 250 (sound and power delivery) more then the 125 two stroke but there is nothing like a 212lbs bike fueled, ready to ride.

To futher lighten the TC/TE250 I would remove the E-start.

Good luck,

William

Santa Cruz, Ca