CA Plating a CRF230F

This is my first post so try to take it easy on me.

I just got back from the dmv with plates.

-trick dual sports kit installed - front brake switch only, the rear looks...problematic for lack of a better word.

-obtained a August 1991 version of REG 256 (from trick dual sports), Sept 2005 REG 256, and Dec 2004 REG 343 - printed 3 copies each just to be sure that would not be an issue.

-took it to the dealer I bought it from and he verified everything works, stamped it (rubber ink stamp) to make it look even more official. The dealer preferred to use the August 1991 version of REG 256. At this point I had not yet installed a mirror he said that was ok and just put one on. BTW there is a plastic plug on top of the clutch (perch?) that can accept a 10mm mirror - I will use that for the time being.

-Went to dmv asked for a VIN inspection, they said drive up and wait outside.

-The inspector verified the vin and a few other things. Note that the form he fills out is actually page 2 of the REG 343 form - I was looking for a vin # verification form on the dmv web site and could not find one because it is part of REG 343.

The inspector came to the section of "emission label" although it was a new bike with undamaged label and it said "meets offroad requirements" he checked the box marked "none". He was probably just being nice but at this point if he put something less desireable I could have gone to another dmv since nothing had been started in the dmv computer system yet. I could have even mangled / removed the sticker before doing so.

-Went to the registration window and said I would like to get a road register and get a lic plate for my dirt bike.

Side note - Personally I see no point in keeping the green sticker if a bike has a plate so I was just trying to road register it. The rangers that I talked to all have told me anything with a plate can use the ohv parks without a sticker.

-The person at dmv kept asking around as to how to proceed and they kept looking in a huge book several feet long on a counter and they kept asking "are you sure you don't want a dual registration?"...well they finally figured out how to street only register a dirt bike but then she asked for proof of insurance which I did not have... It seems proof of insurance is not required for dual registration but it is for road registration... So I just had them "dual register it" - Got the plate and I already had the green sticker from weeks ago.

---this is what I needed - page 1 and 2 of August 1991 REG 256, one of the pages from Sept 2005 REG 256 for some reason, Page 1 of REG 343 (the inspector furnished his own page 2). But I am glad I took all the forms just in case.

I previously registered an old dirt bike in Jan 2005 at another DMV using the same process - but when they asked for proof of insurance I took back the paperwork which showed the registration process had begun, went to AIS (in my case) insured it, went back to dmv and finished up, and went back to AIS to give them a copy of the registration - long day.

I hope this information has been of use.

I also hope you take it easy on me - refer to top line of post.

jeezzzz coffee what the hell are you thinking... :banghead:

This is my first post so try to take it easy on me.

Oh sorry about that. :banghead:

Yea I've got a TDS'ed CRF230 (wifey's) and if you install a rear taillight assembly on the rear fender its definitely a bit flimsy. A couple brackets off the rear frame stiffen it right up.

License out of state its a lot easier. ?

If the inspector marked "None" on the form,,, they shouldn't have giving you the plate, right??

Dale chime in here, was there a box for "off road only" as well or just "Present" or "None". I'd be worried you might get a letter for Sacramento.

And Ron's right about the rear fender,,, I don't know if Dale's system beefs up the fender, but the Baja Designs set up was a joke. It's all broken off my wife's bike, and she doesn't ride hard at all.

I just ordered a new one and will be making some braces for it.

I gotta say, you sure picked the right user name :banghead:

Have Fun with the bike,,, My wife loves her's

Glad to see that you were able to get your bike dual sported. It was not that hard was it? I am glad I was able to assist you with the process and hope to see you again at Hollister. Have fun with the bike its a blast.

• 4 months later...

Coffee,

Welcome to the TT board. Thanks for posting such a detailed summary of your experience. It shows what can be done if you do your research, legwork and get a little direction.

One thing that'll tank things is people going into the DMV and complaining because they have incomplete paperwork or missing documents.

Check out the So Cal Local dualsport happenings at www.district37ama.org.

Sigh.....

I have been hoping this thread would drift down in the archives. In addition to writing it help others it is for my own personal reference. That way I can point people to it that may want to put a plate on their bike.

- I absolutely did not want to get into any spirited discussions regarding this, many people have gotten plates for their bikes in the last year, and no I do not think that Arnold is going to send me a letter asking for the plate back but who knows.

- As far as stiffening up the rear fender - I think it is fine and everyone that has looked at it thinks so to. But then again I bolted it on slightly different than normal. Too difficult to describe.

- MMotohead - I have NO idea what you mean by your question especially since it is now Feb 2006 and it appears you yourself have a CRF250x with a plate on it.

- This is NOT A DUAL SPORT bike this is a dirt bike with a plate. It will never be on the freeway, and it will never be a comfortable ride on the road. No intention to doing dual sport rides on it - but I have a klr also so I may go to So Cal and check out their D37 someday.

- My son and I can ride where ever we want now - he has his permit - this includes stony ford, fire roads, jeep trails, etc. And we get to go get showers and ice cream more often when we are camping because the crappy roads take too long to travel by car (National Forests).

Now please just let this thread drift down....

Coffee this is just too hot of a topic and you've given one of the most comprehensive outlines ever. It makes us giddy.

And yes, you do have a true dualsport bike. That's the beauty of it, they're dirt bikes with plates on them. The joke bikes most manufacturers gave us for years forced us to convert them. My KTM bounces like crazy on the road, it's a price I gladly pay to hit the next section of dirt just ahead.

What part of California are you in? If you're near San Luis Obisbo you shouldn't miss the Cal Poly Penguins ride in April. Most of the ride is on private ranches and rolling grass covered hills. Unbelieveable stuff.

Coffee this is just too hot of a topic and you've given one of the most comprehensive outlines ever. It makes us giddy.

And yes, you do have a true dualsport bike. That's the beauty of it, they're dirt bikes with plates on them. The joke bikes most manufacturers gave us for years forced us to convert them. My KTM bounces like crazy on the road, it's a price I gladly pay to hit the next section of dirt just ahead.

What part of California are you in? If you're near San Luis Obisbo you shouldn't miss the Cal Poly Penguins ride in April. Most of the ride is on private ranches and rolling grass covered hills. Unbelieveable stuff.

Thank you for the complement - just did not want to start any arguments.

BTW - there is more information in my first post at the beginning of this thread that it first appears - i.e. read it at least 2 times carefully. It was very carefully worded.

Tell me more of this "Cal Poly Penguins ride in April." of which you speak...

Keithco - your PM box is full.

dean

Oops, just cleaned out a few messages. Send away.

The Penguins ride is one of the gems. This is why we dualsport our bikes. The course is run on some private ranches in some of the best real estate in the country. If you've ever driven up and down the coast and seen the rolling grass covered hills, imagine riding over them. A lot of that land is private ranch land. A few of those ranchers went to Cal Poly San Luis Obisbo. They like the Penguins and all the good they do. So, once a year they open the gates. There's lots of single track over damp fresh soil, lots of two track thru other areas. Then, lunch and gas is catered out in the middle of one of the ranches. They go all out and in the past we've had tri tip sandwiches and barbeque.

Out of all the rides on the D-37 calendar this is one of the 5 or 6 I do almost every year. It's that good. There are hard/easy splits as well. The hard ways arent that tough if you're on a bike that's more dirt than street with good ground clearance. I'll see if I can get a link to their website, it has lots of past years ride pics.

• 2 months later...
I finally did it! I got a plate on my 06 WR450...

Thanx for your help Coffee

Did you dual register it, both plate and green sticker?

Tell us the story, the steps you took to get the plate to fly. :crazy:

There are so many of us, that are desperately on the verge of attempting the plate. And, any of us that are considering doing so-should. Since I don't see the regulations getting any more "user friendly" in the years to come. Better get it done while we still can.

I finally did it! I got a plate on my 06 WR450...

Thanx for your help Coffee

:crazy:

But I am sooooooooooooooo confused...

I thought you had given up on plating the wr450 and bought a TE510... and you were pissed at me...what are you going to do with 3 bikes with plates?

Congratulations! :crazy:

Now what DMV office did you go to? :ride:

Here in Southern California it seems more of the DMV offices have caught on to the new regulations.

:ride: I want to go where I have the best chance, and have all of the paperwork right.