Sign in to follow this  

2003 450 blown motor - possible suggestions

OK to make a really long story short, under wot 5th gear for only a few seconds my Ricky stator melted down, killing the engine instantly and simultaneously causing a violent clunking in the engine, Ricky discontinued that part as you know, and they were very nice to give me a full refund.

Right after the bike blew when you would slowly kick it over you could hear the clunk, but when i got the bike back to my shop it seemed to completely go away, the bike still had very good compression. Ricky recommended getting a Baja rewind as a replacement for their part, i just installed it and a 13/17oz flywheel from TT. biked started right up but immediately made the violent clunking, i killed it before it had time to make 5 revolutions probably. anyone have any suggestions of what might be wrong, i mean i know i am going to have to tear the motor apart anyway but just wanted some opinions. I did pull the valve cover and inspect the cam/lifter components, that all looked fine as far as i could tell. All i can think of is maybe some of the plastic that melted off the stator(the entire sump and filter bore were filled with grits of plastic when i pulled the left case side off) and possibly got into the crankshaft oiler pinhole. Because the motor and the stator went all at once. Is this a feasible estimation??? the bike has ultra low hours also, i mean its maybe had only 6 or 7 oil changes, every change after 3-4 rides, no rides longer than 25miles, mostly low rpm desert stuff, trails etc. only a few times i have had it on pavement and really gotten on it, like when it broke...

******UPDATE #1********

Ok finally got the motor out of the bike, what a chore that was, if someone knows how to do it without taking the head off pm me, hahahah. I don't think its possible, even with the head off it still took a good amount of manipulatiing, rotating, and turing of the case to get the thing out of the frame, and i lost a valve shim pulling the cam :banghead: but it didnt get into the case, it fell on the floor somewhere. phew! Anyway just took the cylinder out, and the diagnosis is the main connecting rod bearing is shot, the connecting rod is ultra lose on the crank journal, you can move it like 3/16 of an inch up and down. It really sucks that the 100 dollar ricky stator wased the lower end of motor, i don't really know what i'm gonna do about that, it'd be nice if they'd pay for it but thats a pipe dream in the motorcycle industry really. I am going to inform them that their part wasted my motor and that they should warn all customers that are still running that part of the possible damage it may cause to the engine.

Best case scenario is that i can scrape enough money together to have RHC do my head at the same time, since its off anyway, and put stainless/inconel intake/exhaust valves in. Have my frame powdercoated since the motor is out, and maybe even install W/R gear kit in the tranny. anyway i'm still kinda bummin about having to spend the money just to fix only whats wrong, but hey what are you gonna do.

Was if like a chatter, a knocking or a clunking? Upstairs or down? Clutch working OK far as you can tell? Can you 'feel it' when it happens? Have you done GOOD maint of your air filter? Anything in the oil filter? Both oils at proper capacity? Header snug? If the noise is not rhythmic then it's a chuck somewhere. If it is then it is mechanical most likely.

Yeah thats pretty much what i was guessing, I've finally got motivated today to pull this motor, anyone know if its possible to pull the motor without taking the head off first. The manual is kinda sketchy about pulling the motor, it says pull the engine from the fram first, then take the head off. But tell ya what the more i look at this thing the more it looks like the motor wont come out with the head still on. Anybody know about this??

Probably piece of something fell into the timing chain and might have jumped timing. Check the timing!

WaterJet, after reading your update, you and I have a common though or creedo if ya wanna call it that.

My creedo: If the thing comes apart, it goes back together meaner, bigger and badder every single time.

Yeah thats pretty much what i was guessing, I've finally got motivated today to pull this motor, anyone know if its possible to pull the motor without taking the head off first. The manual is kinda sketchy about pulling the motor, it says pull the engine from the fram first, then take the head off. But tell ya what the more i look at this thing the more it looks like the motor wont come out with the head still on. Anybody know about this??

yes you can pull the motor with the head still on,

you can take the rocker cover off and it will come out and in that way,

or you can take the shock off and pull the swing arm away from the frame and the engine will come in and out as an assembly that way also.

i do alot of these and it takes some practice ,

you will get it down if you work it all out.

the 05 and 06 are alittle easier,

the older 02-04 were tighter !

and yes the stator plugged the oil passage and the pick up screen and killed the crank ,

i had to repair one of these for a guy.

there is alot of aftermarket stuff out there that will piss you off like this 🤣

i feel your pain :banghead:

most of the work i do is because of aftermarket stuff or incompetent techs that screwed the thing up in the first place .

this stuff really gets on my nerves :Bink: :banghead:

Well i am definatly gonna keep that in mind when i go to put the motor back in, id much rather assemble/time the cam on the bench then in the bike :banghead: just glad to know it is possible, If you go in through the rear do you have to have the valve cover off or can you put in in fully assembled?

if you have the swingarm out it will go in as a complete unit,

you will still go in the rt hand side ,

the opened area where the swingarm was will let you enter the rear lower part of the motor and swing it in and rotate the motor down and swing the head into correct position and then pull the motor up into position and bolt it in.

you can do it with the swing arm and shock still on and only the rocker cover off but you must really be perfect and it will only go one way and it takes alot of time to find just the right way.