Sign in to follow this  

CRF230 jetting

Many of you guys say that the crf230 comes really lean from the factory but i'm pretty sure they jetted it for me at the dealership because i live at like 8,600 ft. Now when I remove the baffle/air snorckle what do i do to test what size jets i need, if any to get it running better 'N what not?

The jets have a number stamped on them, 105, 110 etc..... See what # yours is and go up about 5 (105 to 110 etc.). If your bike idles and comes off idle fine. I wouldn't screw with the pilot jet.

The supplied oem jetting is generally considered to be lean. If you remove the snorkle&baffle it would be leaner still. BUT, since you are at 8600', you will run richer anyway. You might need to fatten up the jetting IF they leaned it out for 8600'. You may find they just let it out the door without doing anything.

How does it run?

The best way to proceed is to find out what jets it has now, how the plug looks, and how it runs for you. You have to know the baseline numbers to attack it logically.

Many of you guys say that the crf230 comes really lean from the factory but i'm pretty sure they jetted it for me at the dealership because i live at like 8,600 ft. Now when I remove the baffle/air snorckle what do i do to test what size jets i need, if any to get it running better 'N what not?

if it pops a lot your probably too lean but if you live at 8600' and the dealer didn't change it because the altitude you shouldn't be too far off and if you don't want to go thruogh the trouble taking your bike apart then just call the dealer and ask if they changed the needle sizes here's a site that helps but the needle sizes are wrong for your case i think http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/projects/crf230f/1/

I'm not sure at all what size jets it has now but if it was still jetted for see level wouldn't it run like a pile? Anyway I have now removed the baffle / air snorckle but i havnt really ridden it anywhere. It seem to cut out a little more then it did when its jsut idleing and then you give it gas but once you get the rpm's up a little it will rev fine? so what do i do to test if i need to change the jets and needle and what not?

Stock jets are 105 main and 42 pilot. You should re jet after you take the baffle and snorkel out. Ride it hard for about 5 minutes then shut it off and take out your plug. If it's white your running lean and need to re jet. If it's black then your running rich and you need to re jet but if it's a nice tan colour then your fine.

So wut do i do to test if i need to replace the main jet/ needle/ others jets because i dont know the difference.

You can't test your jets. Spark plug colour is what you need to use to see if your jetting is right. Read what I said before, you keep asking the same questions.

Stock jets are 105 main and 42 pilot. You should re jet after you take the baffle and snorkel out. Ride it hard for about 5 minutes then shut it off and take out your plug. If it's white your running lean and need to re jet. If it's black then your running rich and you need to re jet but if it's a nice tan colour then your fine.

I no but when do u need to change like the needle position, pillot jet, main jet, and stuff like that? Because if the spark plug is black or white i just need to change the main jet and it will run as good or new or wut?

And also how can u recommend jet sizes. Doesnt the size depend on the elevation of where u live and stuff?

I no but when do u need to change like the needle position, pillot jet, main jet, and stuff like that? Because if the spark plug is black or white i just need to change the main jet and it will run as good or new or wut?

If you pull the baffle and snorkel, and re jet to bigger jets you will be getting more airflow and more gas which will give you more power so if you are jetted correctly you will run better than new. You have two jets, a main and a pilot. The pilot jet controlls the fuel flow from idle (no throttle) to about between 1/3 and ½ throttle. The main jet controlls the fuel flow from about ½ to full throttle. The shape of the needle which is inside the main jet controlls the flow of fuel and how it passes through.

The needle positions are like this.

|1| If you have your clip in the 1st position the needle will be sitting down

|2| really low in the main jet minimizing the space for fuel to flow through,

|3| so you can make your engine run leaner. If you have your clip in the 5th

|4| position the needle is sitting up high in the main jet maximizing the room

|5| for fuel to flow through so you can richen up your jetting.

| |

| |

| |

| |

V

All the spark plug colours tell you is if your running lean or rich. Black = rich, White = lean. I'm not sure on how to jet your bike at that altitude but phone up your Honda dealer and order up a 120 main jet (Part # 99113-GHB-1200) and a 45 pilot jet (Part # 99103-MT2-0450).

Put them in your bike, and take it for a ride. What do you notice different? A bog or hesitation? Not idling? Hanging idle? Turn your fuel screw all the way in just so it's snug and count how many turns you turned it in. Then turn it back out to what you had before and add ½ a turn. Take it for a ride. If it still doesn't run right try turning it out some more. If you have to to past 3 turns you need to go up in your pilot jet size.

Take it for a hard 5 minuit ride then take the spark plug out. What does it look like? If it's black you are running rich, so you need to do down a size in your jets. If it's white your running lean and you need to get bigger jets. Jets are cheap so it's always easy to experiment with them.

Hope this helped. I'm not the jetting master but if you still don't understand PM coeshow or burned, they should be able to help you.

Ok so what position is the needle is stock. Also does anyone know what type of carb. it is?