Valve clearance / cam change

Ok , I just checked my valve clearance since the bike is already half apart and I appear to be just within spec IN: .004/.005 EX: .008/.009 at just over 5000 miles . I am certainly no expert with the valvetrain so I am wondering .....How do you know that it is time for a complete valve job or simply reshim? If I install a Hotcam intake cam I assume the clearance will be even less , correct ? If that is the case can I /should I wait to adjust the valves 'til I get the cam?

Hot cam intake cams usually don't require a reshimming, the exhaust always do however.

You can reshim for a while as long as you keep up on it, if they go real tight or after a while they will on their own, then they will keep getting tight faster and faster as the valve mushrooms.

Depends on how long before you get the intake cam. I would do the exhausts now, might as well. It is not difficult to remove the tensioner and pull the cam. If memory serves, mine were a bit tighter after putting in the HC intake but did not require a re-shim as I tend to run 'em toward the loose end anyway.