Sign in to follow this  

Move up from XR250 to ???

I've been riding my 02 XR250 (bought it used) for almost a year now and I'm ready to move up.... rode my buddy's XR4 and liked it, seemed like a natural progression right? Well.... I'm having serious considerations about buying an E-start 400 something.... maybe a DRZ? KLX?.... What's your opinions?

Thanks in advance. :banghead:

before you commit to anything , try a 05 KTM 400 , i rode one 2 weeks ago , its on my wish list! power delivery is excellent, suspension is amazing, turns very well, the weight feels the same as a 250, in knarly stuff i loved being able to leave it in one gear .

The katoom has a very light feel to it.

The best part was the E start

Downside of the 400 for me was motor vibrations in the handlebars , i found this an annoyance

Move up the the xr 400, or if ur like me and dont see the true power of the 4 stroke you can CONSIDER a wr 426. They have lots of power and dont fall apart.

before you commit to anything , try a 05 KTM 400 , i rode one 2 weeks ago , its on my wish list! power delivery is excellent, suspension is amazing, turns very well, the weight feels the same as a 250, in knarly stuff i loved being able to leave it in one gear .

The katoom has a very light feel to it.

The best part was the E start

Downside of the 400 for me was motor vibrations in the handlebars , i found this an annoyance

I just told my wife this weekend that the KTM 400 EXC is my next bike. She told me it's at least a year away. I said ok. :banghead:

Another whipped man...

Hey, why would you choose the 400exc over the 450exc? What are the differences (other than 50cc)?

That's funny, I am going from a 2003 DRZS model to a 2002 XR 250. My DRZ is currently for sale (east coast, nicely equipped for off-road) and since my diet didn't work, I'm going to lose bike weight. Just kidding, I am actually scaling down because at 50 years old, I just don't have the brute strength to manhandle the DRZ. I wonder if I'll have to go to a 150 in a few years?

Some people say the 400 is easier to ride because it has more of a very linear power output with no surprises. Also, it is a little easier to turn in the tight stuff than the 450. Try a ktm 250 two stroke. You will be EXTREMELY surprised. I used to think I would never ever ever be on a two stroke and now I wonder why I ever rode a 4 stroke!

Move up the the xr 400, or if ur like me and dont see the true power of the 4 stroke you can CONSIDER a wr 426. They have lots of power and dont fall apart.

Dude, that avatar kicks ass :banghead:

The XR 400 is excellent for what it is and would be the natural progression coming from the XR 250. The DR-Z is a good bike but it is somewhat of a pig in terms of weight and anyone with an inseam of 30 or less would have a hard time touching the ground with their feet(fat bike tall seat combo). If you need the e-start, look no further than the WR 450f. Its reasonalbaly affordable (compared to the CRF/X and KTM EXCs) and is pretty much ready to go once the free mods are done and the bike is properly jetted. If im not mistaken the 2006 WR 450f is around $6899 as opposed to the CRF/X ($7199) and the KTM 450exc ($7495?)

I just told my wife this weekend that the KTM 400 EXC is my next bike.

Excellent choice. I was going to get a CRF250X, but was concerned about the maintenance schedule.

Luckily, I found a new 2004 250 EXC RFS that I will install the HT Racing 351 kit in. If that hadn't been such a great deal I'd definitely go for the 400 EXC RFS.

Only 1 problem - its orange instead of red, so my wife is going to notice the difference!

Put a Thumper Racing 280 kit on your 250 with a pumper carb and upgrade your suspension. It will make you forget about a new bike. :banghead:

:banghead::banghead: Polar ice xr250,I think your avatar kicks hiney,Im 40,which aint to close to 20 no more im at 200 lbs ever since I left Uncle Sams great green ooze,(US army)any way I have a very clean 86 XR600,still looks clean,runs strong as well,But I find myself on the 250 a lot more than the 6,why? the 250 just feels lighter and dont tire me out as fast if at all,power wise sure the bigger xr has more but the 250,well lets just say its my daily rider,I break out the 6 on special occassions,I like to keep it under a blanket to make friends think I have something "special" when they come by.By all means, follow your desire.Live to ride,ride to live,It makes me feel young.XR6-XR2.5 both modded some