Sign in to follow this  

What to look for in a used 250f

i am buying a used 250F either a 04 crf or a 04 yzf but i hear bad things about buying thumpers used? is there certain things i shud look for?

Thanks guys

I personally have been told by the professional riders on me sponsor team that a lot about the bike can be told by the seat and the suspension. I fthe seat is torn and has been worked in alot the bike has probably been ridden into the ground and if the suspension is not set to the right weight of the rider you are buying it from it means that there are alot of pressure on the seals and the rebound of the forks. This puts alot of wear and tear on the bike. But if the seat is in good condition and the suspension is set right the bike should be goo! good luck

Take a look at the bikes frame, motor, carb, rads, inside air box and not the plastic. If it looks good start asking questions

1. How often did you change the oil -- oil filter -- air filter? (every ride is a cop out) Every 4 - 8 hours

2. What kind of oil have you used?

2. How often do you check the valves.

3. How many time have you need to adjust the valves

4. What are the valves at. (clearance)

If they can not answer your questions, it has not been maintained.

Kick it over and see how the compression is, if it kicks over like a 125 2 smoke, it could be needing a topend.

If they can not answer your questions, it has not been maintained.

I dont know what my valve clearances are, but that certainly doesn't mean my bike isn't well maintained. For me, it means that I pay someone a bit extra to check them when i drop off my bike to get my suspension (fluids and needed items) serviced every few months.

I just did a long ass post and a box came up saying the link was invalid :blowup:

I give up. To sum it up ,try looking for (or someone post) a link that givs a checklist to buying a bike. It's for a streetbike, but applies to a dirtbike.

If you find a ride that your really interested in, you could maybe work out a deal with the seller to have the valves checked out at your dealer. That is if he hasn't checked the clearances in some time. ?You could split the cost if you don't buy the bike? ?You could pay for the whole if you do buy the bike?

If he is reluctant to have it checked out by a dealer, I would bail out.

Overall, it's cheaper to pay a little instead of buyin' a project.

TC