Sign in to follow this  

Excel rims

Does anyone know if I need to change spokes and nipples if I'm adding a set of excel rims to my stock hubs? And should I get the factory size wheels or other?

More questions than answers.

What bike? E, S, or SM?

Why change rims? Damage or just want Excels.

Stock spokes will work fine if they are in good condition. Remember, you can not buy just 1 from Suzuki. If you are buying rims why not buy a nice new set of stainless spokes?

Use stock size rims unless you are doing a SM conversion to a E or S bike. You did not say.

I have a 2001 Drz400 S with 100 miles on it, I just like the way the black rims look. My spokes and nipples look brand new but when I remove them I could probably tell better. Spokes cost about 140, I wonder if that money is better spent elsewhere.

Sounds like your original spokes will be fine. What are you going to do with the original rims?

You could just black hard anodize the OEM rims. They are "Tagasako" brand same as the "Excel by Tagasako". They are just like Excels without excel on the side. Maybe not as beefy?....

I don't know but side by side an Excel is identical in shape and profile.

You are probably right. But make no mistake. It is not that easy to anodize black and have them come out as nice as the Excells. You would want to know the quality of work the shop does and specalize in anodize colors. Plus material and prep makes all the difference. We anodized and dyed colors all the time and black was the hardest to get to look right.

For used rims, powder coat would be cheaper and better in my opinion.